Chapter Fifty

Naomi

I stood behind crystal clear iced over doors with my hands inside matching white silk gloves that went up to my elbow. They did very little to warm my arms as I folded and unfolded them, breathing deep with each pass of my arms. No matter what I did, I felt as if I were a ball of ice, waiting on a future that I wasn't entirely ready for.

Two weeks ago, I was on the run for my life. Two weeks ago, I had the man I loved with me, promising me that he'd see me as Queen and yet I now stood here, without him.

I breathed deep as Deacon came to my side. A low whistle escaped me, helping to distract me from the nerves that were frazzling me, as I saw him.

Deacon stood proud as he adjusted the tuxedo lapels. The jacket was black, and it pressed to him in a tight and precise manner. The little black bowtie under his chin only amplified the charm he was oozing. His hair was slicked back slightly with his cheeks a shade of pinched red. He bowed as he reached me.

"Your Majesty."

"Get up!" I scolded him with a laugh. "I don't expect that from you."

He rose from his bow, a smirk straining to be released on his face. "Don't care. I know it'll irritate you, so I'm going to do it. And," he let the grin out to play, "If it makes you smile, I'll keep on doing it. I like it when you smile, makes me feel good to know my sister is happy."

I reached out and took his white gloved hands in mine.

"Thank you for believing in me, Deac."

"You're my sister, and my Queen. We're family, Nai. I'll always believe in you. If you ever need help, I'm not far."

"I know."

Loud music began to blare from behind the doors and Deacon and I turned at the same time towards the doors. Towards my future.

My body began to shake. "Inside these doors, I'm still technically Princess Naomi." I breathed, taking a few deep breaths to clear my mind. "But once I leave, in a matter of minutes, I'll be declared Queen Naomi." A few more deep breaths, I stared at my brother. "I don't think I can do this."

"You can!" he stated firmly. "You just thanked me for believing in you, Naomi, that hasn't disappeared in less than two minutes." He put a hand to my cheek. "Sebastian also believed in you. You can do this. Become the Queen he believed you could be. Become the Queen mom and dad believed you would someday be. Be the Queen you are, Naomi. You can do this."

"I agree." Came a voice and I turned away from Deacon, away from the doors to see Devin smiling at me. "As usual, Prince Deacon is right. You can do this, Naomi. Take as long as you need to do it, that music doesn't mean anything. Those people out there can wait for you. As Queen, you don't hurry for others. You do as you wish, arrive when you wish and there's nothing anyone can do to change it."

Deacon removed his hand from my cheek. "He's right."

I took my hands back and smoothed them down the dress.

Deacon wiped a tear from his eye. "I almost feel as if this is your wedding day." He let out a laugh that met his eyes. "Instead of giving you away to your future husband, I'm just giving you away to the country." I blushed under his gaze. "You look beautiful, I just need to say that before we go. And mom, dad, and Sebastian would all agree! And I can promise you they're looking down upon you now."

I felt them.

A breath loosed from me and I shook my head, sending the nerves far and away from me. I didn't want them today, wouldn't have them today. I needed to be strong, needed to prove to this country that I could be their leader, I would be their leader.