Chapter Two

Naomi

Early the next morning, I woke up to Devin opening my door and letting my handmaiden, Brooklyn in. He grinned as I threw off the covers, and I knew that grin. It could only mean something bad was about to happen to me, my punishment from yesterday's fiasco from my mother. And five minutes later, I understood why.

Brooklyn stood behind me, squeezing my body into a corset that made the task of breathing extremely difficult. A task that she was enjoying a little too much for my taste. From the corner, based off the laughter I heard from him, I knew Devin was enjoying the sight as well.

"Is this really necessary?" I choked out at another tug and another mouthful of air escaping my lungs. "It seems." Tug. "This is." Tug. "Unnecessary, Brooklyn! Very unnecessary."

Brooklyn  continued to laugh at my torture. She always got a good kick out of it, I secretly thought that her and my mother were tag teaming me on these punishments thinking I'd learn. "I'm only doing as I'm told, Princess."

"Try breaking the rules for once." I gritted out through another tug. "It feels nice now and then. You should give it a try."

As if in answer to my horrible suggestion, Brooklyn put an arm against my back and tugged. I could've sworn I felt a snap from within. Was that a rib? It sounded like it could have been a rib. Brooklyn would pay for this if it indeed was a rib, I vowed.

"Did you break my rib?" a pain coursed through my ribcage. The loss of breath wasn't the only pain I was feeling. I ripped the strings from Brooklyn's hands and staggered a distance away. "It feels like you broke my rib."

"I didn't break a rib. I just tied the corset completely. You'll be fine you big baby."

"You don't have to insult me." I shuffled over to the floor length mirror in the corner of the room. The golden edged mirror shone with the streaks of daylight filtering into the room, livening it up. "This is barbaric!"

Brooklyn put a fist to her mouth to keep from laughing at me. I saw from the corner of my eye, Devin lingering at the door waiting for the chance to leave me. He didn't have to be here but the sight of my torture was enough to make him stay.

My eyes narrowed to slits. "Don't you laugh at me! You're not allowed to do that. Neither of you."

Devin rolled his eyes as Brooklyn gave me a look that told me she didn't care if she was allowed to do that or not, she was going to do it either way. And I should have known, as my best friend it was pointless trying to use my princess authority with her. It never had before so why would it now.

"I do what I want, Princess." She flicked my nose. "Those were your words after all when you accepted me to have this post."

She was right and I hated it. I never wanted our friendship to be weird cause of my title.  And due to our weirdness when we were together, it worked.

After a few moments of silence we burst out laughing, well until I doubled over in pain that was. I then fell onto the floor as I did not have it in myself to breathe properly and instead I laughed like a hyena. Brooklyn had fallen next to me, holding her stomach as well.

Devin just shook his head at us with a grin on his face. He knew better than to help us. I really did think he was going to miss having me as his responsibility when Sebastian came back later today, I knew I would a little too. He let me be nearly as carefree as Sebastian did, though he did like to make a more dramatic entrance when he had to retrieve me after one of my rendezvous'.