* T W O *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song----------}

"Black Dog" By Led Zeppelin

*T W O *

A meow and the warmth of something rubbing up against my leg makes me look down to see my cat, Ginger. He’s an orange tabby that was digging in the trashcans outside my apartment building about two years ago and now he lives with me. I blame is obnoxiously heart melting green eyes for this. Well that and who can turn down a stray kitten when it loves up on you and is clearly not diseased? No one that’s who.

“I already feel awful for leaving you, Gin, must you make it worse?”

Meow. That’s the answer I get.

Rolling my eyes I drop the t-shirt in my hands and kneel down to pick him up. He purrs as he rubs his head against my chin making me smile. Sitting on the floor with my back to my bed I continue to pet him. He’s the only companion I’ve had in the past few months and as I like to tell Nadine, the best partner I’ve ever had.

My last boyfriend was a year ago and my last girlfriend was probably about two months ago. Yes, I said girlfriend. I like both men and women but during my last few months it’s been primarily women I’ve been going after. I don’t know why but men haven’t really been appealing to me and even my attraction to women has dwindled. I figured after my last doomed relationship to just back off the whole institution for a bit.

Besides who needs a date when you have a cat?

My house phone rings and I give Ginger one last little nuzzle before heading over for my yellow rotary. Collapsing on my black padded futon I pull the phone off the pile of books it’s balancing on to put it in my lap before grabbing the receiver. Putting the phone between my head in shoulder I start looking through my books to see if there is anything I want to bring.

“Hey loser.”

I hear a disgruntled huff before my sister’s voice comes through. “How do you always know its me?”

Shrugging I smirk a little. “Just lucky I guess.”

Mary is much younger than me at sixteen and looks nothing like me. Our parents adopted me thinking they couldn’t have kids but when mom got pregnant with Mary it was a shock. I was seven when she was born but she’s been my little partner in crime since the day she came into the world. Currently though she’s going the typical rebellious period and to say it’s hilarious would be an understatement.

“Anyway, I got your text and decided to call to find out what the hell your crazy ass is talking about now.”

Rolling my eyes I toss my autobiography on Bob Dylan towards my duffle. “Mary Anne Benson, does mom know you’ve taken up swearing?”

“There is a lot that woman doesn’t know about me.” She scoffs. “So what’s this about a two week vacation? Also if you could add an explanation as to why I’m not invited it would be appreciated.”

“Because you’re sixteen and mom wouldn’t let you.”

“Besides that old chestnut.”

Huffing a laugh I lean my head back against the futon pad. “Because this is supposed to be a self discovery deal. I’ve got a lot on my plate here and Nadine agreed that I needed some time off to just chill. She even offered me her cabin to stay in.”

“A self discovery deal?” She echoes dryly. “Honey whatever herb Miss Nadine has you on please send it on the express my way. I am dying over here.”