* S E V E N T E E N *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song---------}

"Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac

*S E V E N T E E N *

“Holy shit.”

Brandon turns his head to I assume smirk at me but I miss it in favor of the coolest tree house I have ever seen. Actually its not really in a tree but its is high above the ground with trees surrounding it so I’m going to call it that. There’s a wooden bridge that leads you to the tree house and by the time we come to a complete stop I’ve already thrown off my shoes.

I am so going in the house.

I slide off of Brandon’s back and feel the cool earth under my feet, giving me its energy. Grinning I do a little excited jumping as I head towards the bridge. I grab the ropes on the side, steadying myself when the bridge sways under my weight. Still I can’t wipe the smile off my face. I always wanted a place like this when I was a kid.

“Are we a little excited?” Brandon asks from behind me.

“Excited doesn’t even cover it.” I tell him while glancing over my shoulder, “Do you realize how cool this is?”

He shrugs looking at the tiny house, “I just thought it was a good place to get away. Most of the kids are at school so the place is all ours for a few hours.”

“Speaking of which I should really see about the situation with Mary. If our parents don’t call in a few more days I’m going to be calling them. I don’t want her to miss anymore school than necessary.”

“You sound like a mom.” He says quietly.

I glance at him with a small frown, “No I sound like an older sister.”

“Is there a difference?”

“I can talk about sex with her and serve her alcohol without social services taking her away from me?”

He chuckles, “Good point.”

“Have you ever been in here before?”

Brandon shakes his head, “No. I was in my fifteen when I came to the pack so I was a little old for tree houses. Well that and I was given a lot of responsibilities.”

“Responsibilities?” I echo as I walk into the little house.

This just keeps getting better and better. The inside is small but its perfect. There isn’t much in furniture being only a ratty couch and two bean bag chairs. Music posters decorate the walls. A One Direction poster is hanging but it’s clear someone else isn’t a fan of them from the mustaches, monocles, unibrows and evil eyebrows drawn on their faces. A few books are on the wooden shelves and a small TV sits on a milk crate with a DVD player balanced on top.

What I wouldn’t have done for this when I was a kid, I think as I look around.

Heading over for the couch I settle into its sinking couching and throw my legs up so I’m laying on it. Turning towards the doorway I see Brandon watching me with an amused smile on his face. “What? I like this place.”

“I figured you would.”

“Well you figured correctly now are you going to come in here and join me on the couch or are you going to just stand there?”

“Stand here.”

“Brandon.”

“Fine.”