* T W E N T Y - N I N E *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song————}

"I Wanna Be Your Dog" By The Stooges

* T W E N T Y – N I N E *

I speed walk toward the pack house before going into a full sprint. What is he doing here? How did he find us? Wouldn't be the first time I suppose, Charles Benson has more money and resource than sense at times and being ignored is not his best feeling. Still I can't help but feel the panic build as the vision of the pack house gets closer. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to keep Mary with me anymore.

Pushing open the front door with enough force to make it hit the nearby wall but come to a abrupt stop when I take in the occupants of the room. My dad isn't here. Instead it's a group of people. Ten total. Four women and four men all standing behind two very large men talking to Brandon. 

One of the men comes to stand closer to the older man. He's athletically built, sinewy almost with cool assessing hazel eyes. His brown hair is short and he's dressed in jeans and a plain gray t-shirt. He reaches the older man's shoulder in height but his expression says that if I even breath funny he'll lay my ass out. 

"Uh..."

Brandon raises a lone black eyebrow at me, "I thought I gave Brian and Declan specific orders to keep you busy."

"Well," I start, still eyeing up the intense guy before clearing my throat, "You know how it is. You can't keep anything from me."

"Obviously not," Brandon says dryly making me glare at him, "Ruth, this is Raze Williams of the North Star pack and his father Benjamin."

I feel my heart clench in my chest, "Benjamin?"

The older man steps forward, getting my attention.  His bodyguard lets his pass but his eyes are still trained on me. The older man looks to be in his late forties, maybe early fifties with light brown skin, much like mine and almond shaped brown eyes. He has a scar over his left brow and his hair is cut very close to his head though I can see some gray sprinkled among it. His goatee also has some gray hairs in there as well. I watch as he looks me over too before a small smile comes across his full lips.

"You look a lot like you're mother."

My mouth suddenly feels very dry, "Nadine you mean."

His lips turn up at the ends and nods, "Yes, Nadine."

"She's not here." I tell him uneasily, still keeping an eye on his friend.

"Jake, stand down." Benjamin orders before turning to me apologetically, "He's my personal enforcer. A body guard of sorts."

I swallow thickly and give a tentative smile to Jake, "Nice to meet you."

All I get is a brief nod in return. I don't think he likes me.

"And yes, I know she isn't here." Benjamin says, getting my attention again.

"I don't know where she is."

Benjamin smiles fondly, "Does anyone ever know where Nadine is?"

Oh so he knows her well does he?

Someone clears their throat and my attention is drawn the other younger man beside Benjamin. He's in his mid-twenties and looks almost identical to Benjamin in looks, just younger. On his face I notice some scars. Some look like claw marks or knife wounds but its hard to tell. It doesn't take away from his appearance though. It almost seems to enhance it.