* T W E N T Y - S I X *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song—-}

"Proud Mary" By Creedence Clearwater Revival

* T W E N T Y — S I X *

I squint my eyes as I try to focus all my energy on this one little item. It should be easy right? I mean who couldn't light the wick on a simple white candle balanced on the top of a tree stump? Should be a snap, right? Looking around at the candle debris around the stump though you'd think I was trying to massacre a candle instead of lighting it. Either way you slice it though I need to get myself focused and ready for the days ahead. 

Clenching my fists at my side I squint my eyes and hear the wick begin to sizzle when suddenly it explodes. Bits of hot wax fly everywhere and I jump back so I don't get hit with it but its no use. Some of it gets on my shirt and I hiss as the heat seeps through the fabric to burn my skin. Grabbing the hem of my shirt I grimace and look around hoping no one saw that.

Of course I can never be that lucky.

"I feel like I'm watching some sort of atrocity but I don't know what to do about it."

I roll my eyes, "Shut up, Mary."

Mary grins as she walks out from under the canopy of a nearby willow tree. Its clear she's been training with the others from her black yoga shorts and white tank top combo. Her long brown hair is tossed in a messy bun on the top of her head and her hazel eyes sparkle with humor as she approaches me. When she takes in the mess I've made she frowns.

"Okay, I give up. What are you trying to do?"

"I'm trying to get better control over my gifts."

"Why?" She asks with a tilt of her head, "I mean you've been kicking ass."

"Not really." I mutter as I walk over to the stump to place another candle on it. "I mean I've been able to basic stuff like card readings and spells, no problem but it's the mental gifts I need to get right. Specifically my telekinesis needs the most work. I can barely move a cup across the table these days without at least a minor headache."

"Oh."

"Yeah." I sigh as I walk back to my original place, "Practice makes perfect and so here I am, massacring candles."

"Makes sense." She nods as she crosses her arms over her chest, "So what do you have to do?"

Ignoring her question I decide to ask my own, "How's training going?"

"Fine but I still don't get why I have to do it."

"Brandon thought it was a good idea since you seem keen on staying with us longer."

She quirks a brow, "Do you want me to leave?"

"No." I say with a shake of my head, "I just want to make sure your safe."

"This is real isn't it? This whole approaching war thing?"

"It seems like it."

"I know what it seems like Ruth but I want to know what it is."

I sigh and put my hands on my hips, "Yes. Its real and it is a real threat to all of us."

"And we're just sitting here why? We could leave now, tonight even and be clear of all this trouble. Why risk our necks for people we don't even know?"

"Because this is my home now, Mary." I tell her softly, "I accepted Brandon as my mate and bound our souls. I can't be without him and he can't be without his pack. His place is here and my place is keeping him in his place so there you go."