* T W E N T Y - F I V E *

©  Amber Kalkes 2015

Song——}

"Stairway To Heaven" By Led Zeppelin

*T W E N T Y — F I V E *

I wake up to a darkened room and a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's been almost a week since my card reading and we've all fallen into a routine since then. Brandon usually leaves the house at dawn to train and put the pack through their drills while I sleep in. Mary comes to get me for breakfast and we eat in the empty dining room until a literal army of people starts piling into the house at half past eleven.

After that I do my meditation with Mary attempting to sit still long enough to join me. Our parents keep calling her but she ignores their calls so now they're calling me. I have my phone on silent in a drawer far away from me during the day just so I'm not tempted to answer. Then in the afternoon Brandon comes back from wherever he goes, sweaty, dirty and very horny. Well I don't need to tell you what we do for a few hours in the afternoon. I'm sure you get the idea. Then he usually has to leave to talk to Jack and I'm left to my own devices yet again.

In summary, minus the times when I'm with Brandon I'm just trying to push away boredom.

Rubbing my eyes I realize that there isn't much light in the room. I can't see what time it is so I grab Brandon's cell phone off the side table nearby. Clicking on the light I flinch back at the brightness before sighing heavily at the three AM time blinking at me. Putting my phone back on the table I close my eyes and try to will myself back to sleep but its not working.

The feeling in my gut tells me I need to be awake.

With a light groan I roll my eyes and try to sit up. Brandon's arm is wrapped around my stomach and his face is buried in the crook of my neck. When he feels me stir he makes a small whining noise and rubs his nose against the side of my neck. I don't know if he's trying to soothe himself or me but at the moment it's really inconvenient.

I try to move away from him again but he only tightens his grip, "Where are you going?"

"I'm thirsty?" I tell him lamely.

He frowns a little; his eyes still closed before removing his arm, "Come back soon."

I lean down and kiss his temple and promising him I will. Its not like I want to get up anyway but when you get that feeling you must go with it. I hold back a laugh when Brandon swipes my pillow with a grumble and starts cuddling with that instead. Who knew the big bad wolf was a cuddle bunny?

I'm about to open the bedroom door when I realize I'm only in a pair of underwear and one of Brandon's muscle tees. Tip toeing back over to the dresser I grab a pair of yoga shorts and pull them on quickly before heading back for the door. Brandon's snores are filling the room again so with an eye roll and a smile I leave the bedroom.

I don't know where exactly I'm supposed to go but as I inch my way down the stairs I see a light coming from the kitchen. That little hint is followed by the sound of pots and pans clinking in the distance. Walking down the staircase I skim my hand down the banister as I hear a soft muttering coming from the kitchen. When I come to a stop in the doorway I'm not really surprised to see Wren there. For some reason since I've gotten here my gifts have felt very connected to her.

Her back is to me as she looks in the fridge and says, "Ice cream?"

I'm not surprised she knows it's me. In this house it seems impossible to sneak up on anybody. It's the scent you carry, I guess. Its distinct to every person and when your important enough to have your scent memorized by the Alpha it's a double-edged sword. It means you have some value in the pack but on the other hand she can do that unsettling all knowing thing. You know like just knowing your creeping up on her in the kitchen.