* T H I R T Y-O N E*

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song--}

"Don't Fear The Reaper" By Blue Oyster Cult

*T H I R T Y-O N E *

I take a step forward, with the full intention of ripping her a new one but Brandon catches my shoulder. Pulling me back into his chest, he wraps his arms around me but it does nothing to calm me down. My hands curl into fists at my side while I glare at Nadine. She has the decency to look contrite as she gazes back at me but I'm not buying it. Not at all.

"I know you're upset."

"Upset?" I ask before shaking my head, "No, Nadine. I'm enraged, right now. How many times have I called? How many times have I called out to you for guidance? You probably don't know because you've been too busy ignoring me!"

"It wasn't the time."

"Maybe not in your grand plan but I needed you!"

Nadine closes her eyes and looks away from me. She's ashamed and she should be. All I wanted was for her to act like the mother she claims she is. She's been my source of comfort consistently up to this point in my life but now, when I need her the most, she's gone. I stop until she realizes how hurt I am, either because she doesn't seem to realize it.

"Ruth," Benjamin says calmly, "Please, calm down."

"And where the hell have you been?" I demand of him, really on a roll now, "You wait until I'm in my twenties to just show up out of nowhere? You knew who I was for how long now? And yet you've kept your distance like a coward."

"I told you, Ruth. At the time we thought it was for the best." Nadine explains.

"You," I spit at her, "You thought it was for the best. You love to play puppet master, don't you? Just watching us all dancing to your beat while you laugh."

"It's not like that-"

"Don't speak to your mother like that." Benjamin tells me through clenched teeth.

"And you, don't you have a mate? How happily did she take it that you were fucking around behind her back?" I demand, not even control of myself anymore.

I know this is a step too far as soon as I say it but I don't take it back. I have so much anger, so much pent up frustration about this whole situation that its coming out as curses. I want to talk about this logically and with a calm tone but I can't do it, not when they're trying to pretend to be parents. They had their chance to be mother and father but instead they gave me away for nothing. All of this hurt and pain was all done for nothing.

"I suggest you keep your mouth shut when it comes to thing you don't understand." Benjamin advises, lowly.

"Then it explain it to me because right now you're not coming across as a father I'd want to have. Cowardly and quick to betray, can we even count on you in a fight? Or will we be the ones with knives in our back instead of our enemies?"

I don't realize that Raze is out of his seat until Brandon moves away from me. He grabs Raze's t-shirt and throw him against the nearest wall. Both men snarl and growl at each other, both of their eyes glowing gold, as their wolves push forward. Brandon is mere inches from Raze's face and as both men are of similar build I'm not sure how long he can continue to pin my half-brother to that wall.

"Brandon." I sigh, kneading my forehead. Okay, I can admit, I probably crossed a line there, "Don't."

"Listen to your mate, Beta." Raze smirks at him in challenge.