25: In the Meantime

Gee is annoyed.

It's been more than two weeks since their first date, and Sage Sawyer has barely even spoken to her, besides from the celebration following their last game. On top of everything else, every time she's managed to corner Sage, by the locker room or out in the school corridors, Sage has been curt. Monosyllabic. On the verge of belligerence.

Gee has to remind herself Sage Sawyer has basically always been on the verge of belligerence, but that's with everyone else.

And Genesis O'Toole is determined not to be everyone else to her.

So on Thursday after practice, Gee slinks over to Sage, a feeling of confidence rising up within her. She will pick at Sage's icy demeanor until she melts through. Or, more probably, die trying.

But Gee knows Sage is a girl worth trying for.

Sage is throwing on her black leather jacket with short bursts and jabs of her arms when Gee leans against the locker beside her. She gives Sage her best smile. Gee hopes this works.

She never has to work this hard with Nate.

"Hey." Gee says. She can't help the heat boiling in her cheeks. Maybe Sage will take it as a compliment. Probably not. Sage usually takes everything as an insult. She's nearly impossible.

"Hey." Sage just barely gives Gee a smile. And they were speaking so easily last week.

"So, um- You think we're gonna go on our second date any time soon?" Gee leans her back against the nearest locker.

Why does everything have to be so complicated and difficult?

Sage pulls her short dark hair back over her forehead. "Yeah, uh, I dunno, I-"

"What do you mean you don't know? I thought we had a great time!" Gee can feel the moment closing down around her. And there's nothing she can really do to stop it.

"We did, Gee. I just- I got a lot going on right now." And without a second glance, Sage marches straight out of the locker room. As if she just found out she's deathly allergic to Gee or something.

For her part, Genesis slumps down into a crouch. She doesn't even really want to move.

Ever again.

It feels like her heart just stomped off out of here, leaving her alone to wonder.

This girl is literally going to drive her crazy.

As if having a secret lesbian girlfriend isn't stressful enough, now Gee is expected to understand Sage's tempestuous feelings?

What a ridiculous idea!

Gee remains almost perfectly motionless for the next few minutes, desperately plotting out her next move. But once she comes to a decision, she digs her hand into her trusty overalls and pulls out her phone.

Genesis starts drafting a new text to Sage:

I don't know why you're angry. I don't know why you keep all your anger in. I don't know the reasons for your anger. I'm sure you have good ones. I don't even know who you're angry with. Maybe it's the whole darn world. And that's fine. But if you're angry with me, I need to know why. So I can fix it.

Gee sends the text without even thinking about it.

Five seconds later she's cursing herself for texting out an entire stupid essay!

Gee realizes she definitely doesn't want to wait here in this sweaty locker room, though. So she gets up on her feet and makes her way out the door. Gee is only halfway through the scattered detritus of the tubhouse when her phone finally buzzes.

Even her heart gulps. Gee stops and takes a look at the screen. Sage just texted her back.

Not angry with you. Family stuff. You know - my mom, etc... You can't fix it.

Gee sighs. She's glad Sage isn't angry with her, of course. But the message doesn't exactly calm her nerves. But then she hears a clatter coming up behind her, and she turns.

It's Sage.

It's obvious something is still bothering her, but at least she's trying to smile. She sidles up to Genesis, taking her palm in her own. Sage clears her throat:

"But you can hold my hand in the meantime."

***

Photo courtesy of ian dooley on Unsplash: https://unsplash.com/@sadswim. Edited.