22: Newman

Winning feels a hell of a lot better than losing, especially when it was Genesis O'Toole who won them the game in the end. Sage knew she likes that girl for a reason.

For a million reasons...

So Sage is actually in a good mood as the team loads their tubs back into the trailer and then piles into the team bus. Most of their supporters are already on their way back to Jupiter, jubilant in their own cars. For once, this may actually turn out to be a fun bus ride.

But just before Sage's high top hits the bus's first step, she hears an all too familiar voice.

"Sage!"

Sage stops, her foot dangling in midair. She knows this elated mood was too good to last. Coach Wu is sitting in her usual place at the front of the bus. She sees who called Sage before Sage even does. She gives Sage a quick nod and a warm smile.

"Take your time, Sawyer. We'll be waiting right here." Coach Wu says.

Great. Now Sage doesn't even have a good excuse not to turn around.

She sighs, finally spinning on her heel to eye the newcomer and accept her fate.

Audrey Fujimoto. Accompanied by a man Sage has never seen before.

Sage really wishes she had gotten onto that bus just a little bit faster tonight. She dreads the impending conversation like a convicted prisoner dreads the firing squad.

"Mother." Sage says.

Audrey steps closer. Sage takes several steps back, folds her arms, and starts blowing her patented gum bubbles again.

"Your father told me you joined your school's tourneytub team, so I had to come see for myself." Audrey says.

"I didn't exactly join the team. More like I got drafted onto the team."

"Oh," Audrey hesitates, looking down where her high heels meet the tarmac, as if this will somehow give her inspiration for what to say next, "well are you enjoying it, at least?"

Sage shrugs. "It has its moments. Who's this?" She points to the man beside her mother, who up until this point in the conversation has done his level best to stay as invisible as possible.

Audrey takes a deep breath. "Sage, this is my fiancé, Max Newman. Max, this is my daughter, Sage." Audrey beams with pride.

Sage is too shocked to do anything but take Max's hand in her own. He has a strong grip and wears a suit that looks good on him.

Sage has already decided to hate his guts.

"Pleasure to meet you, Sage. I've heard a lot about you." Max says.

"Funny, I've heard literally nothing about you." Sage narrows her eyes. She finally notices the obscenely large diamond on her mother's finger. It flashes through the night, despite the absence of the sun.

"I'm sorry Sage, I would've told you sooner, but you never pick up your phone, and-"

Sage puts her hand up and Audrey stutters to a halt. "It's fine, Mother. Whatever. Doesn't really concern me either way, does it?"

"It does concern you, Sage. Max is part of my life now. And you are part of my life. Since you were born, you've been part of my life. And you always will be. I know we may not live in the same place anymore, but-"

"I don't have to call him 'Dad' now, do I? I already have one of those. And I gotta say, one is more than enough." Sage speaks over her mother again.

Max laughs. It's a booming laugh. A welcoming laugh.

So why does Sage suddenly feel so shut out?

"No, Sage. I don't want you to call me 'Dad'. I'm way too cool for that! Just call me Max." Max says.

Sage eyes him like he's the least cool person she's ever seen in her life.

Audrey laughs herself now, in a vain attempt to cut the tension hanging like a gossamer thread between them all.

Max puts his arm around Audrey, pulls back a lock of her dark hair, and kisses her cheek. Audrey blushes and giggles like she's Sage's age. Sage desperately wants to bathe her eyes in acid.

Audrey turns to her daughter and clears her throat.

Sage wishes they didn't have to look so alike.

"I just wanted you to know I finally found somewhere I belong. Someone I actually belong with. And I'm happy. I just hope you can find it within yourself to be happy for me one day too." Audrey says.

Sage rolls her green eyes, the same color as her dad's. Her real dad. Dr. Sawyer. But it's so dark out here and Audrey and Max are a few feet away, so they don't even notice. Nobody even moves for the next few moments.

Audrey is the first one to break through the silence.

"Well, I'm glad I caught you before you left and finally got to see one of your games. Seems like you're finding your own place where you belong too. You were amazing out there tonight. I could never have been as brave as you at your age."

"No," Sage nods her head in cold agreement, "you were never this brave, ever."

Despite the darkness, despite the space between them, Sage watches her barb bury itself somewhere deep inside her mother. The look on Audrey's face is deeply satisfying and yet somehow deeply unsatisfying to her daughter all at the same time. But at least she spoke the truth. This woman has never really wanted anything to do with her, running at the first sign of trouble.

Something coils within Sage's chest as Audrey's face crumples and she leans against Max. Witnessing this display tells Sage she's had more than enough.

She spins on her heels once more and stomps away. She doesn't slow down until she finds herself back on the bus. She doesn't notice Gee reaching a reassuring hand out for her through the void of the narrow aisle. Sage just brushes by, thumping herself down hard upon the cracked leather of her seat in the back row.

Sage never even bothers to glance outside the window until they're halfway to Jupiter.

***

Photo courtesy of Patrick Hendry on Unsplash: https://unsplash.com/@worldsbetweenlines. Edited.