52: In Tourneytub, as in Life

Storm Zen doesn't move from its spot at the heart of Ithaca Court for a long, long time.

Eventually, all the ceremonies ended. The trophy was presented. Laurels were placed over gleaming Barracuda heads. The crowd gradually dispersed, leaving the arena an echoing shadow of its former self.

Sage climbs down from Storm Zen's hatch and sits down on the turf. She stretches her legs out and pulls her gloves off, one finger at a time.

Soon, Genesis joins her.

She, at least, has changed.

Her golden hair is up in a bun. She's freshly showered but she looks exhausted.

"Well," Gee says, turning to Sage while sitting down, "this sucks."

Sage chuckles, despite her deepening despair. She knows it will pass, of course, but for now she stubbornly allows herself to wallow in it. Sage leans her head against Gee's shoulder, wild dark hair tumbling.

"Tell me about it."

Perhaps these words are enough.

For now, at least.

The locker room is silent.

Dawn speaks. "Well. That's tourneytub in a nutshell. Life, too. You can do your best and still fail. You can put your whole heart into something, every muscle of your being, and still come away defeated. There's a ruthless savagery in that. I know. I've lived it. And now all of you have as well. Yet there's a beauty in these painful moments, too. Tourneytub. Life. Precious, fleeting things. Just like us. But in tourneytub, as in life, it's what we do next, it's how we dust ourselves off, how we soar for ever greener courts- That's what really matters. That's what makes us who we are. Rebels. Rejects. Failures. Odd balls. Victories are as fickle as the autumn wind. It's always the losses we remember clearest, in the end. It's the losses we learn from. It's the losses we promise ourselves we'll never go back to. But sometimes we have to. I promise you, though, if we keep our heads held high, we'll get to the places we need to go. Soon enough. Kids, it's been an honor. I love you all. Damn fine season."

Talia can feel a change in the room after Dawn's speech.

Maybe not a big one.

But there is a change, nonetheless

As if something is slowly lifting from the assembled jockeys' shoulders.

Dr. Howder is inside too, hugging Sage. Surprisingly, Sage hugs her back.

Talia has now seen everything. Prodigal rebels and all...

Dawn limps out of the room and Talia follows. She figures the rest of the Jackalopes probably need their space right now. In the hallway outside, between both locker rooms, Talia spies a small group of people. She recognizes Atari Cain, jubilant, a lopsided laurel wreath still hanging over his fade.

Then she recognizes Nairobi.

Dawn, never bashful, is already making her way towards the Cain siblings. She shakes Atari's hand. "Congratulations, Mr. Cain. You deserve it. That was an impressive display of jockeying you put on tonight."

Atari nods his head a few times. Talia notices his cheeks darkening. Is he-

Is he blushing?

Is Atari Cain blushing!?

It's kind of adorable...

"Thank you, Coach Wu. Your team put up a helluva fight, I gotta admit." Atari says in a smooth, soft voice.

Dawn bows her head modestly. "We nearly had you."

"Yeah, you really did. It was impressive," Nairobi cuts into the conversation, "your tactics were a little bit unorthodox, but effective."

"I agree," Coach Wu turns to Talia, "Talia Amphigore here is a brilliant assistant coach. Without her, those tactics wouldn't be half as good as they turned out to be, let me tell you."

Nairobi Cain looks directly into Talia's eyes.

If Talia died right here and now, she'd probably be OK with it.

"Really. So what's next for you?" Nairobi says.

To her.

Nairobi Cain is talking to her.

"I- Uh- Well- College. I wanna go to Atlas U. Like you. Maybe learn how to coach. Maybe learn some other things too."

Nairobi nods. "I'll be sure to put in a good word for you, then, Talia Amphigore."

"Thank you, thank you!"

"Of course."

Talia remembers nothing from the rest of their conversation. Just her pride, forever welling within her. This certainly wouldn't be the journey she would've chosen at the beginning of this season, Talia knows that much...

Still, it's not half bad.

***

Photo courtesy of David Monje on Unsplash: https://unsplash.com/@davidmonje. Edited.

 Edited