Chapter Tweleve

A/N: In the original version, there was small chapter here from Kitaru’s POV and it started this whole arc. However, when I was transferring my files from Wattpad for the rewrite, like so many chapters, the end of that one got lost somehow. I gave it a little thought and decided to discard it entirely. If you’re interested, however, I could go about editing it and putting it up in “Into the Future” so that you guys can get a good look at it. Hope you enjoy this chapter, I couldn't remember how I ended it orginally, so I settled on this.

Eri

With my shirt settled just below my chest, I simply stared into the mirror. My hands clenched the fabric tightly, as if to ward off the wave of feelings washing through me.

A dark colored bruise crossed my stomach, just above the navel.

That upped the count to four bruises, three of which I couldn’t even think of a reason for. As if to make matters worse, my eyes focused in on the small, red dots littering the skin around the bruise.

This was the sort of thing I was supposed to immediately report to someone. It was probably enough to land me back in the hospital for testing when combined with my gums, which had yet to get better. They’d stop bleeding, then randomly start again when I’d almost dismissed it.

The fever that Emi had caught onto was another thing in a line of nothings that I’d dismissed.

Releasing my shirt, I braced my back against the bathroom wall and closed my eyes for a moment.

‘I’m sorry, Emi-chan, but if it ever comes back, there won’t be a miracle next time. The chances of beating this thing a third time are incredibly low.’

I gave a small shake of my head, pushing the memory away for now. It was nothing. There was nothing to be worried about. I was being paranoid. Just because it fit, didn’t mean that it had to be the reason. I was fine.

There was no need to tell anyone.

My eyes clenched shut to ward off the sting of the tears threatening them.

It’s not like if I told anyone it would do any good. I’d just end up hooked up to a bunch of machines and told how long I had. I’d lose the little hair I had. I’d eat even less than I did now because the poison they say ups my chances would make it difficult to keep anything down. My parents would probably forbid me from attending school again. It was their own way of showing “they cared”. Hiroshi would probably walk on eggshells around me- something that’s as strange as all hell to see. Kitaru would probably wear that expression I saw so many times in the past, the one that said he wanted something, anything to do to change things.

All of that and there was little chance that something could be done if this was the case.

Not that it was. It was nothing. I’d been a bit clumsy recently and gotten bruised. Perhaps I’d brushed my teeth a little too hard and irritated my gums. I’d always been someone who got fevers easily.

I was fine.

Pushing myself away from the wall, I opened my eyes to look in the mirror. There was no hint of the tears that had threatened to fall. Emi wouldn’t notice anything, would she? If she did, I’d just have to distract her. With that, I pushed the door open and made my way back down to my bedroom. I wasn’t at all surprised to discover her sprawled out on my bed, sketchpad in hand. Not wanting to interrupt, I simply sat myself in a chair and recovered the book I’d been reading earlier that morning.

“They won’t do it, right?” Emi asked suddenly.

I pulled my eyes from the book, confused.