Chapter Five

Emi

As Eri began leading the way to the game room, I took that as a chance to drop back and study everyone. It was unusual for her to be outgoing like this, which gave me all the more reason to be curious. She’s not the type to start a conversation with someone unless she’s known for years, let alone when that someone is male. She’d never quite told me what it was about them that made her uneasy, but I had an idea. It’s not something I’d like to be proved right, so I”ve just let it be.

As a result of my falling back, I found myself next to Haruhi. I was slightly surprised, realizing that he hadn’t even said anything since they’d showed up. He must have been standing behind someone, he didn’t even seem to be in the room when we were talking before.

“Hello,” I greeted him, turning my attention away from the others.

He was much more interesting than my sister’s bizarre behavior.

“Hello, Emi-san,” he replied with an apologetic smile. “I hope that we didn’t intrude on something. No one seemed to want to listen when I said it wasn’t a good idea to suddenly barge in on you like this.”

Any irritation that might have invaded my response fled with his smile. He was too cute for his own good.

“It’s fine, I don’t mind as long as Eri’s fine with it.”

Lies, I would rather that they hadn’t shown up. I just couldn’t seem to say it to his face.

“That’s good.”

“Are you two coming?”

It was one of the twins. I glared in their direction to discover that we’d fallen quite a bit behind. The rest of the group had already reached the game room. Haruhi and I looked at each other and I rolled my eyes.

“They’re impatient.”

“Like children,” he agreed.

“Well?” he called again. If I had to guess, I would say it was Hikaru. He seemed to speak first and I was also starting to realize that he had his hair parted a certain way.

“We’re coming,” I snapped, temper flaring a little as we drew even with him.

Did he really have to interrupt the first private conversation I’d had with Haruhi? Really? Hikaru simply grinned, stepping through the door after we did. Everyone else had already gathered around the dart boards and started discussing teams. Due to the uneven number, one group ended up having three people. Beyond that, the way it fell was pretty predictable. Kyoya and Tamaki were on a team with Haruhi, followed by Honey and Mori, Hikaru and Kaoru, and Eri and I.

Surprisingly enough, despite the fact that Eri and I played the game all of the time, we didn’t come close to placing first in the little tournament. Honey and Mori had come out far ahead. Besides Eri and I, no one else seemed startled by that. The three groups remaining, however, were pretty evenly matched. It was easy to tell that Kyoya wasn't used to losing from the annoyed look on his face, and that ended up placing them, narrowly, ahead of the Hitachiin twins and us.

“If we win,” the twins spoke up together right before Hikaru’s turn. “Then you have to start coming after school regularly without arguing.”

I blanched, turning my eyes to Eri. I was startled to find that she didn’t seem disturbed by the idea. Instead, she looked thoughtful. Scowling, I turned my attention back to the twins.

“And if we win?”

They looked at each other and smirked.

“We won’t bother you in class for a week.”