Chapter Two

Emi

"Eri," I began, fiddling with my fingers in my lap. "They said I'm the only one that can help you right now. We're gonna try the surgery... I wish you'd wake up... I..."

My eyes focused on where my sister lay, then flickered up to the machines surrounding her bed. They continued to beep in that quiet, even manner that I'd become all too accustomed to. A second later I dropped my gaze to my  hands, which had drawn my attention when something wet fell on them.

When had I started crying?

"E-Eri... I... I'm scared. This is the last thing they said we'd try. If this doesn't work..." I cut myself off by biting my lip.

Suddenly Eri sat up, her eyes focusing on mine. I flinched back when I realized they were blood red. She bared her teeth in a smug smile.

"It's useless, Emi. Cause it'll never really be over. It's just remission, you know. That's all you helped cause. You didn't cure me. You can't protect me. You'll be alone, eventually. Alone... poor little Emi-tan... all alone... maybe I should comfort you. Would you like that?"

Frozen to the spot, I could only watch as Eri lurched from the bed. All of the IVs stuck through her skin were torn out as she stepped towards me, sending the towering machines and IV stands crashing to the ground. My eyes were drawn to the blood dripping down her arms as the machines began to beep wildly.

BEEP! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

When I woke up, I clamped one hand over my mouth to keep from screaming. Even my sleep addled mind knew what normally came next. Once I was certain that I'd calmed down, I just laid in bed for a few moments. If I got up, that meant getting dressed. Eri hadn't been joking when she'd said she would find a way to drag me to school herself. If I got dressed, that meant going over to see Eri.

It was always hard to see her after that dream.

Eventually, my alarms got to me. Cursing them under my breath, I dragged one arm out from my tangle of covers and beat at my bedside table until the damn thing went silent. Unable to stay in bed any longer, I shoved the rest of the blankets to the side and stretched, a faint smile appearing as I felt my stiff muscles pop with the movement. Urging myself to move, I quickly dressed and gathered my things for school. It didn't occur to me until after I'd finished to check and see what time it was.

I'd left myself with almost thirty minutes before I'd normally head to Eri's room. Shoving my irritation, and perhaps even relief, to the side, I seized my sketchpad from where I'd dropped it the night before and climbed back up on my bed. Once I'd had it open to the most current page and balanced on top of my blanket mountain, I started working on Eri's sketch once again.

As I'd expected, when one the maids showed up about ten minutes before I would normally force myself out of bed, she was shocked to discover me already completely prepared for school. I only spared her a quick glance seeing as I was almost done with the last minute touches to the sketch. Perhaps I'd get on the computer when I came home from school and scan this in. It took a long time, but it was always worth it to digitalize my drawings when they were done, seeing as it looked a lot nicer and a lot cleaner that way.

The maid stuck around just long enough to tell me that she'd serve breakfast in Eri's room as I normally requested at times like this. I simply nodded, sliding off of my bed and shutting the book. When I walked into her room only minutes later, Eri was still sleeping. I hesitated, the image of her laying there overlapping with my dream for a nanosecond. It was enough, however, to cause me to drop my things by the door and walk over to put the back of my hand to her forehead.