L.A & The Full Time Job

Fast forward 2 months

I picked up English really quickly and began to have full conversations with my mom. We started to talk in English or mix the two together. And she told me that was good that I had a good understanding of the language since I would be starting 1st grade soon. So from when we arrived in L.A and through the next two months, all we did was study English.

"LUNA, COME HERE NOW!" Mom yelled at me, cutting my play time short.

"Sí momma?"

"It's time for your English lesson dear."

This was the day my mom told me about her new job, and I remember it so clearly dispite my age.

After my English lesson, my mom sat me down on the couch and said, "mí haji, I have a job now."

I was so confused at the time because she had never left the house unless it was to go get groceries, and even then I always went with her. She also never worked before because up until then we used the money my dad put off into savings for us.

I continued to stare at her emotionless face until she sighed and continued "You must be wondering what the job is, no?"

I nodded slowly.

"The job I have," she paused, "I'm not very proud of it and you are much to young for me to give you any explanation about it. All I will tell you is that after I make dinner I will have to go to work and then comeback in the morning and bring you to school. I will then sleep while you are at school and wake up once it's time to pick you up."

To me that was very strange. What kinda person works during the middle of the night?

"So does that mean I'll be home alone?" I asked. Her face softened because she realized she'd be leaving her six year old in a house by herself at night. And then she started crying, and that was the first time I've seen her cry since my father died.

" haji I'm so sorry "she began to sniffle, "I don't have my documents yet and that's the only place that would take me."

"It's ok momma I'll be strong for you and plus I'll be sleeping by then so I wouldn't even know when you are gone."

She looked at me, smiled, then wiped her tears and hugged me tightly "mí chica valiente" (My brave girl) she whispered.

She kissed my forehead, stood up and gestured me to follow her to the table for dinner. And after we ate she told me to go put on my pajamas and that she'd be upstairs in a second.

I obeyed her rules and got my pajamas on and sat on my bed eagerly waiting for her. She soon entered my room a few minutes later wearing a thick jacket the went all the way down my knees. And she looked very cold and uncomfortable.

She then sat on my bed and sung me some lullabies as I was drifting off into sleep. The last thing I remember was her standing up and walking towards the door and that's when my eyes closed.

I was awoken in the morning by her telling me to get ready for my first day of school.

I wondered what she had been doing for her job because her hair was a bit messed up as well as her makeup. I shrugged it off and just assumed it was how all jobs were.

My cluelessness about her job continued for a few more years till I did snooping around.

A//N
Sorry these are short so far.