12. shut up and kiss me

SHUT UP AND KISS ME

the party was in full swing on a bright and sunny saturday— a ludicrous number of guests with money falling out of their pockets, an endless amount of food and the occasional glass of champagne could all be found on the deck.

the classical music sounding throughout the yacht served as a distaste for luke — he was more of a rock and roll kinda guy.

luke stood off by himself, feeling out of place amongst the snooty rich people he had no intentions on getting to know. so he casually sipped champagne and ate foods he didn't know the name of as his eyes wandered around the massive yacht.

a few people stared at him, as if they knew he didn't belong. a few girls looked at him like a piece of meat, to which he stared back with a smirk because he knew he looked good today.

his attire had certainly matured over the years, ditching the skinny jeans and band shirts for striped pants and black silk shirts, which he was currently sporting with the top few buttons undone, because he knew it made a certain someone weak in the knees.

he had his favorite pair of boots on, which only fueled his already over-confident ego.

"you're staring"

luke jumped, failing to notice that maya now stood beside him.

"sorry?" luke asked.

"you've been staring at her for five minutes straight, cut it out" she nudged him.

luke felt flustered that he had been caught. "do you see what she's wearing? how could anyone not stare at her all day" luke sighed.

she was wearing a black dress. luke had always been a sucker for emma in black, it was their color. luke wondered if she had done it on purpose, much like he had.

"easy, i just avert my gaze and stare at anything but emma — c'mon, try it out" maya placed a hand on her hip, challenging luke to break his emma-induced trance.

luke huffed and continued to let his eyes roam around, deciding that emma was the most appealing thing to look at on this boat.

"if i try and talk with her, are you going to stop me?"

"no, just try not to eye fuck her while you're at it" maya laughed and patted luke's arm, nudging him in the direction of the brunette.

"wait – luke," maya called after him. he turned around and waited for her to speak.

"i'm rooting for you two, i am. but don't push her on this, and don't do anything that would compromise her and caleb's relationship"

luke nodded, the simple motion not good enough for maya's standards as her eyes dropped into a glare.

"i'm serious. if she drinks today, you need to stay away from her. god knows nothing good ever happens when you two are drunk together" maya spoke.

he smirked and shook his head, brushing past her and walking towards emma, ignoring maya's shout to "keep it friendly"

emma was in a deep conversation with an older couple, and luke awkwardly tapped her shoulder. "can i steal you for a second?"

emma nodded and excused herself from the couple.

"those were caleb's parents, i can introduce you later if-"

"no, it's fine" luke weakly smiled. he wasn't trying to be rude, but he had little interest in meeting his ex-girlfriend's soon to be parents in law.

emma nodded and tucked her hair behind her ear, waiting for luke to speak.

"um, you look... you look great" he mustered out.