36. falling: part two

maybe maya set luke up, maybe she really did forget. but she knew ashton would be at the bar with emma — ashton specifically told maya he was going to look for her.

ashton and emma sat at the bar, seemingly happy and at peace with one another. little did they know, luke was on his way to uproot everything,

unless ashton did it first.

selfless was never a word ashton would use to describe himself. it wasn't a word you would use, either. but tonight, he would surprise himself.

"look," ashton spoke, setting his beer onto the counter top. he never intended to drink as much as he did, but he was way past tipsy at this point. "sometimes i feel like i'm in a relationship with you and luke. he's always around, he obviously likes you, we can never get a minute alone together without him showing up" ashton complained.

"well he's your friend, why don't you talk to him?" emma reasoned, casually sipping her glass of water while she stole glances at ashton.

"because he's not my friend when it comes to you," ashton sighed, not necessarily wanting to divulge into this topic while he's been drinking. "he's my competition"

emma choked on her water, a fit of giggles coming out of her mouth though she quickly choked the laughter down once she noticed ashton was being serious.

"why do you say that?" she asked him. but deep down, she knew why.

"ah, fuck," ashton pursed his lips, debating on whether he should say anything else. "i didn't want to get into this right now, but why the hell not" he had been vividly playing this conversation in his mind for days, though he knew he would never be prepared for it.

"i think — fuck, emma. i think we should break up" his face was serious and he avoided emma's eyes at all costs.

she felt like time had stopped, there was no way she heard him correctly. emma didn't want to cry but oh, fuck, did the tears start falling. "w-why?" she stammered out.

"did i do something wrong?" ashton shook his head.

"do you not love me anymore? what is it, please talk to me" she sat up straight in her seat and wiped a few stray tears from her cheeks.

"no, that's exactly why we have to break up — because i love you" ashton had his head buried in his hands, he hated himself for how he was making emma feel right now.

she felt blindsided, and so fucking confused. "that makes no sense" emma cried, her lip quivering slightly.

"please don't make this harder than it already is" he sighed.

emma shook her head, refusing to accept the breakup.

"i love you so fucking much it actually hurts," ashton grabbed emma's face in his hands, catching the tears that were still falling. "but you couldn't look me in the eyes and tell me you don't feel something for luke"

emma opened her mouth to protest, but ashton shushed her before she got the chance.

"maybe one day, we can try again. but right now, i just want you to be happy" he stroked his thumb over her face, trying to comfort her as best as he could.

"but you make me happy" she choked out.

but he can make you happier, ashton thought.

"then look me in the eyes. tell me you don't have feelings for luke" ashton knew she wouldn't be able to do it, therefore solidifying the break-up even more.