21. drunk emma

"em, the wedding is in a month, you need to rsvp" maya sighed and continued to run her fingers through emma's hair. the girls decided to have a sleepover in maya's room last night—something they did quite often despite their contrasting sleep schedules. last night was one of the few nights that maya actually managed to stay up past midnight, and they had a lot to catch up on. maya boasted about her new management position at work, and invited emma and the boys to a party at her co-workers house later tonight.

"I have more important things to do, maya. like finding a job" emma stated, moving from her sprawled out position on the bed to a normal, cross legged one.

"I told you I could get you a job at the coffee shop I work at — are you even planning on going  to your brother's wedding?"

"I know, and i love you for that, but I loathe the smell of coffee and I couldn't manage waking up that early" emma groaned. " I need something more flexible. and of course i'm going, he's my brother" she shrugged and attempted to rest her legs on maya's lap, who scrunched her face and shoved her friend's feet off of her.

"what about the bar — would you want to work there? I could talk to luke for you" maya suggested. she had decided to drop the wedding topic, it was obvious emma didn't want to talk about it and the last thing she wanted to do was upset her friend further.

"yeah, actually, that would be great" emma shot maya a genuine smile, leaving out the fact that emma could easily ask luke herself if she wanted to. luke and emma had grown significantly closer ever since the night of her birthday party almost three weeks ago.

luke had been coming over a couple days a week and teaching emma new songs on the guitar — something she had yet to tell maya about. the guitar was kept under emma's bed, entirely out of sight from anyone who wasn't her. in hindsight, emma could have easily told maya about the guitar lessons, but maya was the type of girl to overthink insignificant situations and assume the worst, so emma decided to keep it to herself.

"great — i'll ask him about it at the party tonight" maya gave emma a soft smile. she tried to ignore the uneasiness she was feeling at the small thought of luke and emma working together — spending even more time together.

"I need to tell you something, but it needs to stay between us" maya bit her lip and raised her pinky finger. emma locked her pinky with maya's and nodded. pinky promises were the foundation for any well kept secret.

"I think I love luke" maya cheekily smiled and pressed her hands against her cheeks in a failed attempt to hide the red tint. she had almost slipped up and told luke over the phone, but she was confident he didn't notice. she had been struggling with her feelings for luke — trying to label a feeling she had never experienced for a boy before. "and I think I want to tell him — tonight at the party" maya's eyes sparkled in excitement.

"that's incredible, maya. luke is a great guy — i'm happy for you" emma leaned across the queen size bed and pulled maya into a hug. of course she was buoyant for luke and maya's relationship — but a small part of her couldn't help but think there was a part of luke that didn't feel the same way.

maya felt her phone buzz on the nightstand behind her, and eagerly checked the new text message from luke.

"I have to go, luke is taking me out to lunch. i'll be back so we can get ready for the party together" maya quickly scrambled off of her bed and grabbed her purse, shouting an "I love you" to emma as she walked outside to greet her boyfriend.

"black or red?" emma asked, holding up two possible dress choices for the party.