CHAPTER 6 - Lamentations

Lora had been waiting outside the ICU for over an hour. A nurse came out to speak with her soon after she rang the bell. She said they had managed to stabilize Jonathan but the doctors were still with him. She wished she knew exactly what they were doing and saying and planning but the nurse wouldn't let her in until it was visiting hours. She did promise to keep her informed of any changes though. Nobody came out again. Clearly, there weren't any changes.

Lora understood. She knew ICU policies were strictly adhered to. She had long since gone through three cups of cheap coffee her and her fingers were shaking slightly as they gripped the rosary beads.

'We had to transfer him, honey,' Cara told her in the gentlest of voices when she called her in the early morning. 'He wouldn't stop convulsing.'

Thirty minutes. Three tubes of Valium.

What happened? What triggered the seizure? He never had one in his life. Did they take a CT? Did he have swelling in his brain again? He had swelling once, after the accident. It was so bad they instantly knew it would leave permanent damage. Was it fever? Was it an infection? Her brain was on overdrive. The nurse in her was itching to be there with them. To do her part.

"Aunt Lora?"

Jess's voice came to her from far away. She sounded frightened. Lora blinked multiple times until her eyes focused on the young woman running towards her through the empty corridor, an anxious-looking James tailing her.

"We're so sorry we took so long. We were in the middle of class. Are you okay?"

Lora threw her arms around her and held her tight, hoping to absorb her distress. "It's okay. We're not allowed inside for another forty minutes. Are you missing lectures right now?"

Jess shook her head and James put his arm reassuringly around her shoulders. Lora gave them a small smile.

"Did you find out anything else, Mrs Scicluna?" James asked in his usual polite manner.

"No. And you know you can call me Lora, James." She almost hated how nice he was. Turning back to Jess, she asked, "Did you call Krista?"

"Yes," Jess answered. "I promised to call her again as soon as we know anything else. She has her practice sessions today, so she'll come over if she needs to. She should be somewhere around here anyway."

"Well, there's no point in her coming now, I guess."

Lora ran her fingers nervously through her hair before tucking her wispy locks safely behind her ears. She took in a deep breath and shuddered. Her arms automatically crossed her chest and her fingernails shot straight between her teeth.

"What?" the anxious woman demanded as she saw Jess and James staring at her, eyebrows raised.

"You look a mess, Aunt Lora," Jess piped out. "Are you sure you're okay? Are you eating enough?"

Lora almost laughed derisively. A nineteen-year-old girl was worried about her well-being. She may have moved out and was living independently but Lora was still the adult here.

"I'm fine, Jess, thank you," she replied haughtily.

But Jess, who owned a face that was incapable of lying, did not believe her. "You look like you've forgotten how to dress! Your hair is a cry for help and there is no amount of concealer that can cover the circles under your eyes."

"Jess!"

"I'm not trying to be hurtful," she went on. "I'm just worried you're not taking care of yourself."

Lora pursed her lips. She was offended. Tired. Couldn't Jess be more considerate with her words? And yet, she knew the girl was right. "I'm fine. I left in a rush this morning to get Aiden and Siena to school on time and then I got the call from the hospital. I came straight here."