CHAPTER 27 - Last Judgement

The party was well underway. Cara wasted no time introducing her to the two new care workers who joined the team a mere two weeks before. They were sisters who had just come over from Kerala. They were soft-spoken and smiling and downing their GnTs surprisingly fast.

Vico had not only been serious about coming but also brought with him two colleagues who were on an internship for the summer. Their names were Luca and Francesco, both Italian, exceptionally handsome and exceptionally flirty. Luckily, Lora was saved by Mike, who whisked her to the side under the pretence of wanting to talk to her about her new roster. She would be starting in Isaac's shift as he was still on his own and considerably new.

"So, how have you been, Scout?" he asked meaningfully when they were safely away from the throng that was just on the verge of becoming overly friendly.

Lora's eyes automatically flickered to the other corner of the deck, where Owen was leaning against the railing, sipping on the same Gin and Tonic Mike handed him an hour ago.

He looked heavenly under the soft glow of twilight. Lora longed to go up from behind him and wrap her hands around his middle. She longed for his closeness, the scent of his warmth and the chocolate tones of his voice. But that would only cloud her mind, distress her heart and upturn everything in general.

Instead, she took a large gulp from her glass. "Wonderful. Brilliant. Living the life!" she replied with too much enthusiasm and Mike laughed heartily.

"That bad, huh?" he cracked.

Lora tried to hold a straight face but eventually, her shoulders sagged and a soft sigh left her lips. "No, not really. It's been really good, actually. The kids are fine. Krista and Jess are happy. We're all moving on well, you know?" Lora stole another glance at Owen.

He was looking out onto the shoreline, still visible from a distance, and she soaked in his appearance for a bit longer than she would have done if she didn't have three strong shots of gin circulating in her bloodstream.

"Maybe, that's the problem. Maybe, I'm not used to things being so good. I thought... I thought it would get easier but... You know how sometimes you write down a word, and you know it's correct and yet it just doesn't look right? That's what this feels like."

Mike looked between her and Owen, barely raising a brow. "Well, maybe you should just trust that it's right, take a leap of faith. You're quite smart, Lora, very good at spelling and grammar if I remember correctly. Maybe you should trust that God is sending a gift your way for a change?" He smiled and Lora saw the kindness in his eyes.

"You know, you're not the first person who said that to me today," she replied softly. But before he could emphasize his point, Lora's arm was yanked on painfully, almost making her lose her balance.

Turning around, she found herself face-to-face with a smiling Cara, eyes slightly out of focus and yet not a hair out of place.

"Let's dance!" she ordered pulling her towards the centre of the area where absolutely nobody was dancing or even swaying to the summer beats blasting on the sound system.

"Dance?" Lora replied horrified as she tried to guide Cara back to a safe, inconspicuous corner. "I haven't danced since my wedding!"

"Well then, now is the perfect time!" And with one final tug, Cara led Lora into a nice spin and with her arm around her waist, they stepped into a weird modification of the salsa.

Seconds later, the Sharma sisters joined them, and Luca and Francesco took it as a sign that the dance floor was open. Cara grinned at Lora and, giving in to the music and the cheerful faces and the endorphins swimming in her brain, Lora laughed out loud. She felt her burdens, her many thoughts slipping away slowly and making way for a lighter, happier feeling of nothingness. She and Cara swayed across the deck, occasionally losing their balance slightly and holding on to each other, laughing harder every time.