CHAPTER 13a - Submission pt.2

When Lora pulled up into her driveway, her heart was hammering. She stared in the rear-view mirror for a good ten seconds. A white Range Rover was parked a few doors up the street.

"Aiden, Siena, we're home," she announced to the kids playing on their tablets in the back seat. They placed their devices into their bags and slid out of the car. They ran up to the door and waited for Lora to open up. "Okay, hurry up and go brush your teeth. I'll be right up."

They vanished inside and Lora walked in behind them, leaving the front door ajar. She removed her coat and threw it over the large, ivory, leather couch. She put her face in her hands and sighed heavily, then she made her way up the stairs and into the kids' room. Siena was pulling up her pink fluffy trousers. Aiden was pushing his head through his Monsters top.

"Okay, let me see those pearls," Lora sang to them.

Aiden and Siena giggled as they gave her wide, open smiles and jumped onto the bed.

"Mama, do you think Dad will come back home soon?"

Lora eyed her son suspiciously. "I can't know for sure, honey, but I think it might be a while longer. Why?"

Aiden played with the hem of his quilt. "Just wondering."

"It will be fine, baby, don't worry. He's in good hands and the Lord is always watching over him."

"I know," he stated. "And so is my Super Doctor sketch!"

Lora smiled widely. "Indeed, he is."

"It's just a sketch, Aiden, it won't really protect him!" his sister argued pragmatically.

"Yes, it will," Lora interfered, "Because it will remind him of how much you love him and give him a reason to come back home."

This didn't cheer little Aiden up. On the contrary, looked sullen.

"Do you think Dr Shaw will see it?" he mumbled, not meeting his mother's eyes. Lora stiffened at the sound of his name. She could tell her son was preoccupied with something.

"What does it matter? The important thing is that Daddy liked it."

"He didn't," the boy croaked. "But that's okay. I think he was upset because I said I want to be a doctor."

"Why would that upset him?"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "but he didn't seem happy."

He was right. Lora saw Jonathan's eyes flare with vexation when Aiden made his big announcement earlier at the hospital.

"I want to be a nurse, like Cara," Siena piped up jumping enthusiastically on her own bed.

"You know Mama was a nurse too, right?" Lora beamed, unable to keep the smile off her face. Oh, what she would give to see her daughter follow in her footsteps.

Siena's eyes grew wide. "Really? Is that how you know, Owie?"

Lora laughed at the sweet way Siena said Owen's name. Her heart throbbed warmly, reminding her of how bruised it was. "No. I know Owen because he is Daddy's doctor."

"But Daddy and Owen aren't friends," Siena declared, covering her little body up to her chin.

"Sure they are, baby. Adults sometimes have arguments, but that doesn't mean they're not friends."

"Daddy said some mean words to Dr Owen, though," wise little Aiden countered. "Maybe that's why he wasn't happy I said I want to be a doctor."

"Honey, no. I'm sure it has nothing to do with that," Lora assured him. She was lying. It had everything to do with that and she knew it. Once again, she hated herself. Lora never lied to her children.