CHAPTER 14a - Liberation pt.2

She stared at the horizon, letting the soft palette relax her eyes and mind. The sun was still quite high. The phenomenal colours smeared across the sky made Lora feel small in the vast space around her. Siena and Aiden were playing in the sand to her left. There was no one else on the beach. The air was still fresh and the sea was still cold.

She was trying to numb the noise in her brain, praying for guidance that would lead her back to the path of righteousness. But all she could think about was her argument with Owen.

He was right. Being away from each other now was unthinkable. No wonder he couldn't take her seriously. She didn't even convince herself with that weak dispute. There was no denying that what they did went against what was clearly written in the Scripture. And yet, deep down she knew giving in to Owen was not her big mistake.

"Hey," a strong, familiar voice said from behind her.

Lora turned and smiled at the young lady sitting down next to her. "Hey, Jess."

"They look happy," Jess chuckled looking over at Aiden and Siena as they ran after each other, falling every three to four steps.

"Ha!" Lora agreed. "Yes, they're swell kids."

Jess snorted at the old-fashioned word. "You're a swell Mama."

Lora's heart throbbed slightly in her chest. "Do you miss her?"

"Who? Mum? Of course! But she's always with us, right?"

Lora pursed her lips and rubbed her eyes gently. "Sometimes," she sniffled. "Sometimes, I feel like I really need her. I always looked at her and thought it was easy being a grown-up. But it's not and I really want to tell her that."

Jess stared at her aunt for a while. She knew what she meant. Maybe not to the whole extent of it, but she often got the same feeling. "So, tell her. She's listening. She was a very good listener."

Lora laughed at the irony. If only Lora could say the same for herself. "Yes, she was."

Then Jess gasped causing Lora to jump. "You're wearing makeup!"

Lora smiled again and this time it was genuine. "Your father likes it, apparently. He also likes the hair. I think he's having a mid-life crisis."

Jess reached out and pulled gently on her hairband until it came off. "There is nothing wrong with relaxing, having fun and looking beautiful, regardless of what Dad thinks."

"He's not as bad as you make him out to be, Jess," Lora confessed. "I don't want to sound negative, but he won't be around forever. And believe me when I say you will find yourself willing to give anything for one more chance to talk to him."

Jess played with the sand between her toes while she pondered on Lora's words.

"Why don't you just come back home?" Lora pressed.

"I can't. We'll just fight all the time. Aunt Lora, I know he means well and I know he loves me. But he is just too oppressive. He was suffocating me without realising it. I know you hate it when I say this but I saw him do the same thing to Mum and I don't want him doing it to me or Krista. Even if James wasn't in the picture, I would have left home. You can't let him crush you, Aunt Lora. You do so much for him and that is great. But you need some time for yourself too, otherwise, you'll get burnt out. God gave us one life and we should be grateful for it. We shouldn't waste a single second merely existing."

Her words reminded her of Owen. He was always telling her to live her life.

"I am trying to make things better with Dad," Jess went on. "But it will take time."