CHAPTER 25 - Rapture

Her eyes opened to a pink sky boasting from behind the curtains she didn't bother closing the night before.

It will rain, was Lora's first thought.

But that's okay, was her second.

She felt the arm wrapped around her torso tighten and as she inhaled, the air in her lungs was balmy and soothing, like the first rain after summer. She felt him move behind her, pulling her into him so that their naked bodies were moulded perfectly together. His warm breath fanned her shoulder, his large hand cupping the side of her breast and his erection pressed against her back.

Her body writhed involuntarily, drawing a low growl from Owen's throat. "What are you doing?"

Lora felt her insides ignite at the sound of his gravelly, sleepy voice. This was the first time they woke up together. Later, she knew, the heaviness would spill in her stomach, like blood from a clipped artery, but it was still early. She was still tired. She'd been miserable for what felt like an eternity and now she wanted a break. She just needed a few more moments of this peace.

His thumb grazed her nipple and he placed an open-mouthed kiss on her shoulder. Lora felt the tiny hairs on her skin stand on edge. It was early, but her body was wide awake.

"What do you want, beautiful?"

There was no mistaking the tease in his voice. Even half asleep he was devilish. It chilled her spine and scorched her lungs and smiling at his contagious mischief, she decided to play along. She arched her back, pushing her buttocks gently outwards and into him, stretching her neck, baring her soft, white throat to him while lightly grazing his thigh with her fingertips as she pretended to stretch lazily. "Nothing," she murmured.

She felt him stiffen and her smile widened, happy with the response solicited out of him. She waited with bated breath for him to say something, do something, feeling his breath hitch, his muscles tense. But she felt his shrug as he said with mock nonchalance, "Okay, then," and pretended to stifle a yawn.

She gasped and turned to slap him playfully on the shoulder but he was too quick for her. He grabbed her wrists and pinned them to her sides as he climbed on top of her, his shattering, lopsided smile making her heart skip no less than three beats.

He dipped his head to kiss her but then stopped about half an inch from her face. Her brown eyes widened. She'd heard it too.

Knock. Knock.

"Aunt Lora? Are you okay? Why is the door locked?"

Krista sounded alarmed as she jiggled the door handle in vain. Thank God they had locked the door yesterday. Lora never locked any door in the house save for the front door.

"Kris? I'm fine. I... Um... I'm... One minute!" Lora spluttered pushing Owen off her and jumping from the bed. 

She opened her dresser for a T-shirt and donned the first one she found. A bright pink one with a big, lacy bow. 

"Quick! Get under the bed!" she hissed at Owen who in turn gave her a most befuddled look.

"Under the bed?"

"Just hide!"

She ran to the door, unlocked it and opened it just enough to fit her head through. Krista was already in jeans and a T-shirt, her hair up in a neat ponytail. Her eyes were bright and full of concern. "Were you crying?"

"No," Lora said a bit too quickly. "I'm okay, honey. What is it?"

Krista hesitated for a moment, not quite sure how to say what she wanted to say. "Aiden wants pancakes and Jess is making some..."