CHAPTER 18a - Confessions pt.2

As soon as the door closed behind her, her phone rang again. It was Owen. This time she picked up but her words were incoherent. "Owen! Owen, I messed it all up. I ruined everything."

He meant for his voice to come out soothing but he winced when he heard the panic in her tone. "Hey, hey, breathe, Lora. Where are you?"

"I... I... he kicked me out. He... Oh, Owen, I messed up so badly?"

He closed his eyes and tried to ease the fear in his chest. He hated it when she was upset. She didn't deserve to be upset. "Do you want me to pick you up?"

"No. Not here," she cried. "Can we meet at the beach?"

"Yes. Sure."

#

He was there five minutes after she arrived and yet, it seemed like forever to Lora. She could barely breathe or think. She couldn't believe how low she'd sunk in the heat of the moment and she knew, deep down she knew that is what things will be like from now on. She had crossed a line and there was no going back.

"Lora, is everything okay?" The words had barely left his mouth when she buried her face into his chest and cried her heart out. He put his arms around her tiny convulsing body and hummed into her hair. "Did he hurt you?"

Lora shook her head violently. "No. It was all me. I lost control. I hate him, Owen. For years I tried not to resent him but I did. I resented him more and more as time went by and now I positively can't stand him. And I know how bad that is, I hate myself for it, but it's true. What am I going to do, Owen?"

Owen tried to pull away but she dug her fingers deeper into his back and sensing that she wasn't ready to let go of him just yet, he hugged her harder, racking his brain for the right thing to say. He had never heard her speak so harshly about another human being. Up till now, she had always said good things about her husband, even if he could see her true feelings in her eyes. She would never let a tarnishing word slip.

"I know it's hard," he tried. "When Carla told me she wanted to separate..."

Lora stiffened at the sound of her name and he stopped immediately.

"Owen," she said, her words muffled as she pressed her face deeper into him. "I... I'm sorry but I don't think I can bear to hear you talking about her right now."

"I'm sorry," he whispered genuinely.

"It's okay," she sniffed. "I don't want my children to lose their home or their father. I don't want my nieces to hate me. I want him safe and healthy and well taken care of. He is still my family and I cannot abandon him. I won't. But I cannot be his wife anymore. Do you understand?"

"I understand." And he did.

Lora finally let go and took a step away from him. She wiped her face with the back of her hands. She tucked her loose hair behind her ears and rubbed under her eyes, trying to pull herself together. "I have to go," she announced. "Siena and Aiden will soon be out from school soon. Aiden was a nervous wreck this morning, knowing his father was coming back. Heavens, he's going to crash as soon as he feels all the negative energy. That boy is too sensitive for his own good."

Owen frowned. "I'll tell you what," he said wanting to smooth out the worry lines that distorted her beautiful features. "How about we pick them up and take them for ice cream afterwards? That will give Aiden a chance to unwind and Jonathan some time to cool off."

Lora thought about his proposal. It was crazy. It was wrong. The last thing she should do was to let Owen get involved in family matters like this. But she knew he was right. Ice cream was exactly what they needed. So, she replied, "Okay."