CHAPTER 11 - Temperance

Lora hovered around uncomfortably while Janet filled the kettle with water. She wasn't in the mood for coffee and she knew her sister-in-law wasn't either. She offered as a courtesy and Lora accepted not to seem rude.

"Thank you for keeping Aiden and Siena at such short notice," she said to break the silence. "I know we said it was only until Jonathan was in the ICU but I want to be at the hospital early tomorrow... To support Jona, you know?"

Janet didn't turn around. She dug up two mugs from the sink, rinsed them and dried them with the cloth. Lora noticed one of them was chipped.

"Anyway," Lora continued, her voice echoing in the vast room, "I packed both their bags and prepared their lunches. Their homework is ready. They have clothes and shoes for their art and ballet classes in the blue duffle bag. If Wayne can't drive them, call me and I'll take them myself. I have an appointment with a client at four, but it should only take half an hour."

Lora realised she was rambling, so she stopped speaking abruptly. She thought she heard Janet snort before finally saying something.

"Well, Wayne agreed before he asked me, so you should really be thanking him. But they're no trouble. You can bring them anytime."

Lora didn't know how to answer that, so she let her eyes wander around the kitchen. It wasn't dirty but it felt neglected. The sink was loaded with pots and dishes. The counter was littered with bags, stray cutlery and unopened letters. Six pairs of shoes stood by the door leading to the yard. It was almost seven in the evening and Janet was still in her bathrobe. Her hair was tied back in a messy bun. Something was off.

"How are you holding up, Janet?" Lora blurted out.

There was a time when the two of them were like sisters. Then Lora announced that she was marrying Jonathan, and everything fell apart. Wayne and Janet openly disapproved and to this day, Lora felt they were disappointed in her. Wayne believed she was throwing her life away. Disgusting was the word he used. Jonathan was too old for her. He was their sister's husband. He was using her. The two men almost killed each other that day. Janet didn't say a word, but she didn't have to. Her distaste was written all over her face.

Janet poured the boiling water into the two mugs and stirred. She set one of them on the table in front of Lora. Not the chipped one, Lora noted, wondering if it was just a coincidence. Janet, meanwhile, leaned back against the cupboard and slowly lifted her black-rimmed eyes to her. They burned with vexation but more than that, Janet looked like she was about to break out in tears.

"How do you do it?" she asked shakily. "How do you keep it together?"

Lora raised her brows at her and scoffed. Was she making fun of her?

"I mean, fine, you look tired and you really need to do something about your hair," Janet went on, "but hell! You're raising two kids, keeping up with Jess and Krista, keeping a business you know nothing about afloat and taking care of your crippled husband and not once have I heard you complain. Not once have you been late, or missed a class or an appointment for Carmen. I have nothing, absolutely nothing to take care of! Nothing to do all day and I'm drowning!"

Lora stood there, stunned at her outburst. "Janet, if you need help with anything-"

"With what? Cleaning my house? Saving my marriage? Having children? He won't even look at me anymore, Lora! I don't know what to do. The doctor says we're both fine. We just have to keep trying. But I look at Wayne and he's... he's soulless. It's so cold in this house. I feel alone. It's all great when the kids are here. Wayne leaves work early, picks them up from school, helps them with their homework and plays with them! We eat, we watch TV, put them to bed or wait for you to pick them up. We're one big happy family and it's wonderful. But it's not our family! It's not real. He blames me for the miscarriages, I know it."