CHAPTER 12 - Lust

The ripe pop of the cork brought Lora's focus back to the room just in time to see Owen hand her a large glass of red wine.

"Here you go," he offered with a nervous smile. "Cheval Franc, your favourite."

"Thanks," she accepted with slightly trembling fingers.

Her heart pounded as she watched the muscles of his forearm flex while he glugged wine into a second glass. She had walked right into the serpent's nest. She didn't know what she was thinking when she climbed into his car. She didn't know what to say during the silent, charged ride to his house and she sure as hell didn't know what she was going to do now. But what she did know without a doubt, as she watched him turn around and lean against the counter, glass in hand, swirling the blood-red fluid, as his eyes caressed her body from her toes to her eyes, was that she could never walk away from him.

"So, uh... If you need the bathroom, it's up the hall to your left."

"I'm okay, thanks."

"Okay. Great. Just make yourself at home then," he added, giving her his best smile before taking a sizeable sip from his glass.

Lora's doe eyes wandered around the kitchen to stop staring at him like a freak. Like the rest of his house, it had a warm and cosy feel to it even though it wasn't small by any standard. The white cupboards contrasted beautifully with the light brown, Maltese stone and terracotta tiles. The arched ceiling and farmhouse sink added to the rustic vibe. A dark, green loveseat lay against the opposite wall by the doorway that led to the dining room. Separating the sitting area from the kitchen was a large island, completely bare save for the stove and built-in oven. Three bar stools sat beneath the breakfast bench that was cleverly nudged in a niche in the wall.

It didn't feel empty or cold, but Lora couldn't help noticing how bare the walls were. She wondered if they were one day covered in photos. Happy photos of Owen and his ex-wife, maybe on their wedding day. She wondered if the room, the whole house, was decorated by her and she realised she didn't know whether this was even his marital home or whether he had moved in after his separation. She didn't know how long he'd been married or separated. She didn't even know what her name was. Suddenly, Lora felt like she didn't really know Owen at all but there she was, in his kitchen, drinking wine after the sun had set.

She sat on one of the stools and took a large gulp from her glass. Owen gave her a curious look before fetching a small pot and filling it with water.

"What are you doing?" she asked raising an eyebrow.

A devilish grin appeared on his face as he set the pot on the stove and lit the fire beneath it. "Boiling water," he replied cheekily.

"I can see that. What for?"

"For the pasta."

Lora rolled her eyes, trying and failing to stop the smile from spreading over her own lips. "Is that why you brought me here, Dr Shaw? To give me wine and feed me pasta?"

Owen chuckled so smoothly that Lora likened it to velvet draping around her soul. "I brought you here because I almost did many, many indecent things to you in the parking lot of the national hospital. I'm feeding you pasta because you can't fool me. You haven't eaten a single bite in the past five days. The wine is because I'm generous."

Lora blushed at his words but laughed instinctively throwing her head back. "You're relentless."

"Maybe. But I made you laugh," he crooned coming closer and placing his glass next to hers.

Lora looked up into his eyes as he towered in front of her. He placed his arms on either side of her, his face inches from hers. If his own heart wasn't beating so loudly in his ears, for sure he would have heard hers thrashing against her sternum.