CHAPTER 22 - Koinonia

Their laughter rang across the living room. It trickled into the kitchen and reached Lora's ears, echoing in her skull, but she didn't seem to hear it. She remained focused on the task at hand, not even the least bit curious as to what was so funny. Father Louis earthed another joke. Her mother acted out another story. Marion sang another song. Jess rolled her eyes, Krista stifled a giggle, Karl smiled politely. It was more of the same. It had been like that all morning.

"Need any help?"

It was Wayne.

Lora closed the oven door and removed her mitts. Just ten more minutes and the roast would be ready. Moist on the inside with the skin slightly burnt, just how Jonathan liked it. She arched an eyebrow at her big brother. It was the best she could do.

"I need a break from them too," he answered slyly. "I love those people dearly but if I hear Janet's rogue eagle story one more time..."

Something in Lora's hollow chest stirred as Wayne's eyes shone with adoration, just like they should when a husband mentions his wife. She gave in to a gentle smile and threw a dishcloth at him before filling the sink with soap and water. Wayne winked at her and immediately got to work, polishing the wine glasses on the drying tray.

"So," he started casually, "when do you think His Royal Highness will be joining us for his own birthday lunch?"

Lora pursed her lips at her brother's sarcastic tone, but she chose not to call him out on it. She wasn't on the best terms with her husband at the moment anyway. "Probably when lunch is on the table," she replied, trying to keep her voice as neutral as possible. Then she confessed, "He's upset because I invited Father Louis. So, this is his way of getting back at me."

Wayne opened his mouth, determined to stand by his baby sister, but then he closed it and cocked his head to one side. "Why did you invite Father Louis?" he asked with a curious expression

"Because he's been a part of this family since we were kids," she answered without missing a beat. She really couldn't see why she had to defend her decision.

Luckily, or rather, wisely, Wayne took the hint. "If you say so, Sis," was all he said as he inspected the wine glass in his hands for any smudges. 

Lora remained quiet for a while, rinsing the plates and setting them on the drying tray for Wayne to polish before laying them on the dining table. Then, when the last plate was nice and clean and she opened the plug to empty the sink, she said softly, "Janet looks great."

"Any day now," he replied, drawing in a sharp breath between his teeth. "Any day, and I'll be able to breathe again."

Lora turned to look at her brother properly for the first time that day. His fears were etched in every line of his face. So much depended on the arrival of this baby. They couldn't handle another loss, not now that they had come so far. "Have you thought of a name for her yet?"

Wayne took his time with the last of the glasses, examining it assiduously before turning to the plates. "Hannah," he answered finally, not quite meeting his sister's eyes.

If he had, he would have seen her doe eyes well up. He would have noticed the slight pulling at the corners of her mouth and the brief trembling of her fingers.

Hannah. Of course.

Hannah was a beautiful name after all. A beautiful tribute. She had thought about naming her own daughter Hannah too.

Lora wanted to say it was a lovely gesture. Their mother would love it. It would be the best thing to have another Hannah in the family. To call and hear her name being called every day. But for some reason, she couldn't bring herself to do so. So instead, she checked on the roast.