Chapter 15: The Map Room

In the distance Indy noticed a rather big striped tent. As he walked past it, he spotted a small sign which was fitted in in the ground next to a wonky, chocolate brown chair.

'PROPERTY OF RENE EMILE BELLOQ
PEOPLE CAUGHT STEALING OR SNOOPING
WILL BE SENTENCED TO EXECUTION'

"Belloq hates me enough already..." Indy thought.

He quickly opened one of the curtains and gasped in shock at what he saw in the tent.

The tent was filled with nice and beautiful furnishings including small tables, desks, chairs, wardrobes and a bed which was separated from the main 'room' by a hanging, patterned curtain. However in the centre was the first place which Indy laid his wide eyes on.

On a circular, soft rug, tied to a pole in the center of he tent was a muffling Marion
She had a gag in her mouth and her hands were tied behind the pole by a small strip of rope.
Not recognising Indy because of the white turban around his mouth and head, she angrily cursed him, however due to the gag, however you couldn't understand her words.

He immediately lowered his white scarf. Marion's curses turned to laughing and sobbing in relief.
He untied the gag and the two passionately embraced.

"I thought you were dead! They must of switched baskets."

"Are you hurt?" Indy asked, he grabbed his silver pocket knife and started to slowly cut the rope which tied Marion's sweaty hands to the pole.

"No! You have to get me out of here quick. They're going to be back in any minute. Cut me loose! Quick!"
Marion replied breathlessly.

"They're asking about you! What you know."

Indy suddenly stopped tying the rope and stared at Marion, he started thinking.

"What's wrong? Cut me loose!"

"I know where the Ark is Marion."

"The Ark's here?"

Indy nodded, the same disbelieved expression was stuck on his sweaty face.

"Well! I'm coming with you, Jones! Get me out of here! Cut me loose! You can't leave me here!" Marion yelled

"Marion, If I take you out of here now, they will start combing he place for us."

"Jones! You gotta get me out of here! Jones! Jones! Are you crazy!?" Marion shouted desperately

Indy grabbed the gage and started putting it back into the restless Marion's mouth. Her clear shouting turned back to the non-understandable blur of a voice.

"Marion, I hate to do this. But if you don't sit still... And keep quiet... This whole thing is going to be shot. I'll be back to get ya."

Indy kissed Marion on the forehead, he pulled his white scarf around his face and fled the tent.

--------------

On a small, excavated, sandy ledge, the archeologist placed down a small, handy black telescope. Besides him was his notebook. Indy glanced through the lenses and adjusted the focus.
In the distance he zoomed in on an un-excavated strange looking medium sand dune.
Indy stared at the dune in the distance and silently chuckled.

"That's it! The Well of the Souls!" He whispered to himself.

-----------------------------------

Belloq was walking holding a rolled up chart in his hand. Following him was Deitrich and another Colonel named 'Gobler'.

"Who knows? Perhaps the Ark is waiting in some antechamber waiting for us to discover. Perhaps there's some vital piece of evidence which eludes us." Belloq said

"Perhaps the girl can help us." Gobler remarked.

"My feeling exactly. She was in the possession of the original piece for years. She may know much if properly motivated." Deitrich included

"I tell you, the girl knows nothing." Belloq snapped.

"I'm surprised to find you squeamish. That is not your reputation." Deitrich evilly chuckled at Belloq
"But it needn't concern you. I have the perfect man for this kind of work." He added.

The three stopped.
Walking towards them in the dust was a hunched over, evilly smiling Toht. He was wearing his regular dark suit with bloodshot red striped tie. On his shoulders rested his black, leather jacket. He stopped and lifted his right hand towards Deitrich, Belloq and Gobler.
On his pinkish, chubby hand was a burned imprint of one sides of the medallion which had formed a scar on his palm. Ever since the fight in the Raven.

( Chapter 9 )

"Heil, Hitler." He mumbled