Chapter 16: Uncovering The Ark

Indy returned to Sallah's small, handy, white, tent. He immediately told him about Marion being alive and bombarded him about what he discovered. Indiana also informed him on where the real Ark of the Covenant site was, ordering Sallah to gather up a group of diggers, the two planned to start the dig by 6:00 that night.

----------------------------

As the Arab diggers were singing away their joyful tunes along with Sallah, Indy changed into his original dusty brown fedora and jacket.
The sun was slowly setting. The hot desert sky turned to a orange red and soon a cool breeze struck across the outskirts of Cairo as nighttime rose.
A fierce and furious storm raged on as the diggers got closer and closer to the chamber, Indy believed it was a sign that they were close.

CRACK

One of the diggers hit a piece of stone with their shovel. Soon, the men cleared away the sand to reveals thick stone slab, in no time at all, they heaved as they picked up the heavy slab and rested it on the side of the dune.
Indy and Sallah looked down at the pitch black chamber.

CRASH!!!

Lightning struck to close for the digger's comfort. For a few seconds the chamber got lit up.
Staring at Sallah unexpectedly was a fierce and angry, crafted Anubis head. Sallah performed a low pitched scream before covering his mouth with the turban.
One of the Arab diggers passed Sallah a torch, he threw it down into the cave.

"Indy...... Why does the floor move?"
All from what the two saw was some sought of moving animal... Or reptile.

They dropped down another flaming torch to light up more of the odd chamber.
Indy's squinting eyes widened tremendously when he heard a sharp hissing sound. He had a better look and saw thousands of long, slimy snakes!

Indy rolled onto his back in grief,

"Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"

"Very dangerous! You go first." Sallah replied, failing to comfort Indy over his phobia.

Indy got lowered by a reliable, cream rope into the gloomy temple. He jumped off and landed onto the cold stone floor on his stomach

HISS!

Evilly, gazing eye to eye with the archeologist was a venomous King Cobra, its mouth was half way open, showing its black tingling tongue and its venomous sharp fangs. Indy gasped, and quickly got back up before the angry and threatened Cobra would strike.
He had a better look of the whole, snake-flooded chamber. Snakes where easily making their way through the small cracks in the walls, falling on top of one another.
On his left the same cobra he faced, attacked another snake aggressively.

Sallah was slowly getting lifted down and was shocked at the sighting of the snakes as well.

Sallah brought down with him a small gas pump. Indy snatched it off him and immediately flooded snakes with the spraying gas. He picked up one of the torches and threw it towards the sprayed snakes, instantly the snakes caught on fire, most were slowly burning to death, yet, it only burned out a small portion of the huge amount of snakes.

Over in the centre was a decorated stand. On the stone stand was a huge stone case.
Indy and Sallah made their way over to the stand and steadily, they moved away the stone top half of the case revealing the ark.

The shining chest had a beautiful gold paint. It had two holes on both sides to put through staffs, to carry. On the top were two kneeling angles facing each other with their wings touching.
Indiana moved his hand to touch the golden object however Sallah stopped him. For if it was real, 'whoever touches the ark shall die instantly'...