Chapter 18: The Well of the Souls

"All right! Bring her up" Indy shouted as he signalled for the crate containing the Ark to be lifted out of the chamber.

"Easy.." Sallah mumbled as the crate was slowly in the air

-----------------------------------

Belloq, Dietrich and Toht were walking past the sleeping workers, discussing about Marion.

"Very stubborn is that girl" Dietrich grumbled

"You like her too much I think" Toht added on

"Your methods of archeology are too primative for me. You would use a bulldozer too...." Belloq ran and pointed to where Indiana was holding the private dig.

"Look! Herman wake your men!!" Belloq ordered to the commander.

-------------------------------------

"Indy! The torch is burning out" Sallah yelled

"Go on, get out of here" Indy replied

Sallah slowly climbed the rope.
Indy heard a thousand footsteps on the level above him. Right as he grabbed hold of the rope, it fell down onto the cold, sandy chambers of the floor.

"Hello! Hello!" Belloq pleasantly shouted to Indy, waving his hat.

"Why Doctor Jones, whatever are you doing in such a nasty place"

Indy looked over and found Sallah along with the others being held by the soldiers.

"Why don't you come on down? I'll show ya" Indy sarcastically called out.

"Thank you my friend, but I think we are all very comfortable up here. That's right isn't it?"

Belloq looked around at the others.

"Yes we are very comfortable up here."

Belloq knelt down as he spoke to the small figure below him

"So once again Jones, what was briefly yours, is now mine.
What a fitting end to your life's pursuits... You're about to become a permanent addition to this archeology find. Who knows? In a thousand years even you may... Be worth something ."

Indy sarcastically laughed... "Haha... Son of a bitch"

Dietrich interrupted, "Our prize is awaited in Berlin. But we do not wish to leave you down in that awful place... All alone"

Much do Belloq's shock, Toht was pushing Marion through the line of soldiers to the edge of he square hole.

"Let go of me!!!" Marion screamed

"Stop it! Belloq ordered Toht"

The screaming Marion fell through the hole.

"Nooo!!" Belloq yelled

Luckily Marion was holding onto the head of a statue, one of her shoes slipped off her foot and landed in the pile of hissing snakes. Indy had his arms ready.

"Hang on! Don't fall!!" Indy shouted

Marion lost grip and was holding onto one of the teeth of the Anubis head.

"Marion!!! Don't"

It was too late, Marion fell, bounced off a pillar and fell into Indy's arms.

"You trader! Get your hands off me!" Marion yelled at Indy

She slowly fell off Indy's hands onto the ground full of snakes. She stared as a cobra hissed at her eye.

"Help!!! Snakes! Watch your feet!" Marion yelled as she crawled back into Indy's arms.

----------------------------------

Dietrich was walking up to the crate as Belloq was running behind him

"The girl was mine!" Belloq shouted

"She's not one of us, only our mission for the Furher matters... I wonder sometimes, Monsieur if you have that clearly in mind." Dietrich remarked

"It was not to be, cherie!"

"Indiana Jones, adieu." Belloq called.

The workers prepared to push the stone back. The sound of Toht's giggle and Marion's yell echoed the well as the stone was fixed back onto the roof.

"Take this" Indy handed Marion one of the remaining torches

"Wave it at anything that slithers" Indy remarked

"Thanks" Marion whispered

"Oh my god! The whole place is slitherin'"

Marion, accidentally waved the torch on Indy's hip

"Ouch!!!! JE-SUS!!" Indy swore in agony

Indy sternly looked at Marion, "where did you get the dress from? Him?"

"I was trying to escape! No thanks to you"

"How hard were you trying!?"

Jones started ripping away the bottom pieces of Marion's dress

"What are you doing?"

"It will help with the fire" Indy informed her

"Where are you going?" Marion asked

Indy started climbing uncoiled his dusty, brown whip and swung it towards the one of the Ancient Egyptian statues

"Through the wall! "

-------------------------------------------------

The workers were taken to one of the sandy dunes. There, they all knelt down. All worried, nervous, petrified of what the soldiers could do to them as punishment. Sallah was on the end. He stared up to the executioner, to find it was only a young teenager.
The teenage soldier had bling hair and was very skinny. He obviously didn't want to do the task he was given.
He stared back at Sallah worried. After all the other higher ranked soldiers left, he quickly untied the rope from there cold, dirty hands and ordered them to flee.
Sallah smiled and praised him. What happened to the soldier was unknown...

------------------------------------------------------

CRASH!!!!

The sound of snakes hissing, bricks smashing and Marion yelling haunted the room. At first the fog was deep however it slowly eased out. Indy somehow managed to pull a statue into a wall. Luckily both were still alive, yet Marion was lost.

"Indy?" Marion cried

Marion entered a small room via the rubble, she turned her head to find the corpse of a dead, rotten mummy staring straight at her. She yelled pushing it away, more and more smelly, revolting corpses kept collapsing near her, pushing her down. Marion was coughing hardly as the dust smothered her face.
Prove wood turned to see the horrific seen of a large slimy snake entering out of the mouth of another corpse.
Her yelling turned into screams. Marion yelled but there was no reply.

"Marion! Look! Look!" Indy found the petrified Marion and lead her out of the horrifying room.
Indy was leading Marion through the darkness up on the hard, sandy rocks until they found a small amount of light coming out at the end of the corridor. Indy and Marion made their way to where the shaft of light was coming, quickly thinking, Jones moved one of the huge sandstone pieces to see the bright sunny landscape of The Tanis dig sight.