Chapter 13: Bad Dates

"Marion's dead" Indiana sighed to Sallah.

"Yes, I know. I'm sorry." Sallah replied respectively.

Indy was helping loading all of Sallah's children onto the back of the blue, old truck. The monkey ran back and hopped onto the truck.
The children again got amused by the monkey and started laughing at it.

"I have lots to tell you, First we will take them home and then I will take you to the old man." Sallah informed.

Sallah took Indy into a small house all around was filled with different models and items.
Chimes ringing were seen hung up in the middle.
Indy and Sallah saw a small Egyptian 13year old boy who was wearing a white shirt and long white pants, he also had a small white hat.
The apprentice was pouring dates into a brown clay bowl.
He silently stared awkwardly at the two and walked back off.
Imam was an old Egyptian priest. He had a huge grey beard and grey hair. Imam also wore a special white robe and a grey turban. He was currently translating the readings on the headpiece whilst Sallah and Indy stood in another small room.

"I can't figure out how Belloq did it..." Queried Indy.
"Where did he get a copy of the headpiece? There're no pictures, no duplicates of it anywhere."

"I'll tell you only what I saw, with my own eyes. A headpiece like that one. Except round the edges, which were rougher. In the middle, the Frenchman had embedded a crystal and surrounding the crystal, on one side, there were raised markings. Just like that one." Explained Sallah.

"And they made the calculations in the map room?"

"This morning. Belloq and the boss German... Deitrich.
When they came out of the map room, they gave us a new place to dig... Out away from the camp."

Indy and Sallah wondered into another room talking, secretly the vicious Monkey Man snuck in and poured a bottle of poison into the bowl of dates. He quickly ran back out as Indy went to grab a date.

"The well of the souls. Hmm?"

He pair got interrupted by Imam who was sitting on a small blanket surrounded by glowing candles.

"Come! Come, look, look here. Look! Sit down, come sit down." He said

"What is it?" Asked Indy

"This is a warning not to disturb the Ark of the Covenant."

What about the height of the staff, though? Did Belloq get it off here?"

"Yes... It is here" Imam pointed out.

"This was the old way." Imam gently patted the medallion.

"This means six kadam high."

"About 72 Inches. Sallah translated for Indy."

(182.88 centimetres)

Indy was about to bite the date until he got stop by Imam.

"Wait!"
He flipped the medallion over.
"And take back one kadam... To honour the Hebrew God who's ark it is..."

A change of wind started to erupt, the chimes started to ring smoothly. The Ark was near awakening.
The monkey grabbed a date out of the bowl, it eagerly started chewing the small date.

Indy turned to Sallah.
"You said the headpiece only had markings on one side. You absolutely sure?

Sallah nodded.

"... Belloq's staff is too long..." Indy said.

"They digging in the wrong place!!" The two laughed

Sallah put his hands on Indy's shoulders as he started singing In joy.
" I am the monarch of the sea. I am the ruler of the coop..."

Indy threw the date up in the air and had his mouth open.
Suddenly Sallah reached his arm out and caught the date right before it reached Indy's mouth.
Indy stopped and starred at Sallah.

"Bad dates..." Sallah sternly informed.

He pointed to the dead capuchin monkey on the floor under the fan. Who had crumbs over his little red vest.