Chapter 14: The Tanis Dig

Belloq was walking on the sandy rock, watching the diggers work. In the hot Rays of the sun on the outskirts of Cairo.
Diggers were pushing mine carts full of sand and gravel. Some were serving the Nazi soldiers food as a dozen of them sat under a cool, green canopy at a long table.

The nazis were in a creamy dessert uniform cameo uniform. They wore small cream caps and had a plain cream buttoned shirt. The ordinary soldiers also wore a vest-like brown front pack full of supplies.

Following Belloq was a High Ranking soldie named Deitrich. He had on a sandy green blazer with a green tie. On the blazer were military badges sewn on. Including the silver eagle badge. Under the blazer was a plain white shirt.
Deitrich had short grey hair.
His face had a few scars from previous battles. Deitrich was stern and strict, he was in charge of the dig next to Belloq, he also had the title 'Colonel'.
Even however he did not trust the Frenchman and was unsure if the Ark of the Covenant was real he still obeyed his Fuhrer, Hittler.

"I told you not to be premature... In your communiqué to Berlin. Archeology is not an exact science. It does not deal with time schedules." Belloq discussed with the Colonel about the digging of the Ark.

"The Fuhrer is not a patient man. He demands constant reports! And he expects progress." Deitrich argued.

"You led me to believe..."

"Nothing! I made no promises! I only said it was very favourable. Besides, with the information in our possession, my calculations were correct." Belloq strictly replied.

--------------------------

Indy and Sallah were slowly walking to the Map Room. In disguise, Indy had a white turban/scarf around his head and neck. He also wore long white robes to blend in with the other diggers.
Sallah had a small white turban and grey robes.
Indy was holding a staff which was correctly measured.

"Boy they're not kidding, are they? What time does the sun hit the map room?" Indy asked.

"About nine in the morning."

"Not much time then. Where are they digging for the well of the souls?"

"On that way, but the map rooms over there." Sallah pointed towards forward. Towards a small rocky hill in the distance.

"Let's go, come on."

Indy and Sallah reached the rocky hill and found a relatively big hole. Indy dropped the staff into the room. Sallah had a rope braced around his shoulders. Indy through he other side of the rope into the map room.
He slowly climbed down into the room.
In the room were old hieroglyphics of ancient Egyptians on the sandstone walls.
Indy walked closer and saw a miniature model of the old city of Tanis. It had every last bit of detail.
Indy kneeled down and brushed away the sand covering a small portion of smooth stone. He blew away some of the sand and found an Egyptian symbol.
Indy opened up his shoulder bag and grabbed put his old diary. He took out a pencil and started translating, he quickly closed the book and put it and the pencil back into his handy shoulder bag.
Indy started tracing with his hands a trail in the sand until he blew the sand and found the certain small hole which he could place the staff in.

Sallah was awaiting from the outside until he freaked out when two Nazis were yelling at him in German to come back down and serve them.
Sallah untied the rope and started running and accidentally rolling down the hill.

Indy placed the staff into the hole and tightened the headpiece onto the top. The rays of the sun slowly moved closer and closer towards the skylight hole.
Indy held the pole, he smiled. Indy's heart started racing in excitement.
A ray of sunlight shone through the hole. Suddenly it beamed directly through the crystal of the medallion like an yellow laser beam. The light shone onto the correct building, intensely, the small city began to become brighter and brighter.
Indy gasped in amazement.

Sallah was working his butt off trying to fill the greedy Nazi's needs of food. He quickly ran around and took a few of their shouted and cursing orders. When no one was looking he ran into a tent and picked up an SS Nazi flag which was neatly folded on a furnished table in the corner.

"Good enough..." He thought

Sallah dropped down the side of the flag helping Indy get out of the room. Before Indy climbed up, he snapped the wooded staff in half and left it on the cold, sandy floor of the room.

"I've found the Well of the Souls!" Indy informed.