Amortentia

"Can anyone tell me what this potion is?" Professor Slughorn asked as Harry and Ron shuffled to the back of the class. Hermione raised her hand.
"It's Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." Hermione said. Draco raised his eyebrows as she said this.
"For example I smell... freshly mown grass..."
The smell of freshly mown grass filled Hermione's lungs as she lay next to the Black Lake, reading peacefully.
"Ah what do we have here?" A voice said. Hermione whipped her head around to see Draco Malfoy standing against a tree.
"Nothing Malfoy. I'm just reading." Hermione said.
"About?" Draco asked.
"Werewolves. It's for the assignment Snape assigned when he was substituting for Professor Lupin." Hermione explained.
"Why do you care?" Hermione asked.
"Just bored I guess." Draco answered.
"We'll go find someone else to torture." Hermione said.
"No I don't think I will." Draco said and laid down on the freshly mown grass right next to Hermione on his back, gazing at the cloudless sky.
That was one of Hermione's first pleasant memories of Draco. She thought to herself as she recited the scents of the Amortentia.
"New parchment..."
"Afternoon Granger." Draco said as he sat down across from her at a table in the library.
"Acknowledging me in public now are we?" Hermione asked firmly. She didn't look up at him.
"I guess so... what's got you in a mood?" Draco asked. Hermione sighed and set down her book.
"Ron's being such an arrogant prick. He tried to ask me to the ball today in the absolute worst way possible. He started it by saying "Hermione, you're a girl right?" Like who does that!" Hermione ranted. Draco raised his eyebrows and his heart dropped, he had been secretly wanting to ask her. He hadn't worked up the courage.
"Wow. What else is new." Draco said.
"So what did you say?" Draco couldn't help himself from asking.
"No of course." Hermione said. Draco's heart leapt.
"I already said yes to someone else." Hermione added and Draco's heart plummeted back to the pit that was his stomach.
"Oh. Who?" Draco asked.
"Victor Krum." Hermione blushed. 'Of course' Draco thought. Hermione would be the one to go to the ball with a world famous quidditch star. There was no way she would go with Draco.
"Oh." Draco said.
"What's that in your hand?" Hermione asked him. He had brought Hermione a gift and kind of forgotten that was the whole reason he came.
"Oh, it's for you." Draco said.
"Really? What's the occasion?" Hermione asked.
"It's new parchment. Since I accidentally spilled ink all over your old ones last week." Draco explained and handed her the package.
"Thank you Draco." Hermione smiled.
"You're welcome Mione." Draco said.
"And.... spearmint, toothpaste." Hermione finished listing what she smelled in the Amortentia.
Draco stood over the sink in the prefects bathroom. He brushed his teeth and spit out the spearmint toothpaste. He look at his reflection as he rinsed his toothbrush and couldn't help but be disgusted by the look of himself. He was turning into a death eater this summer. He had no choice of course. But wasn't there always some version of choice? He could abandon his family. But he wouldn't do that to his mother. The fifth year was coming to a close and Draco knew what awaited him this summer. He started crying. He knew this would mean he would have to break-off his friendship with Hermione. He didn't want to put her in anymore harm. He really loved her. But he didn't know if she felt the same and he couldn't risk putting her in danger. The tears streamed down his face as he heard someone walk in the bathroom.
  Draco turned around to see Hermione staring at him with a look of sorrow. She immediately came over and hugged him. He cried into her shoulder.
  "Draco? What's the matter?" Hermione asked. Draco pulled away from the hug but they remained close.
  "I can't do it Hermione." Draco said as he tried to regain composure. He knew he would have to lie to her to get her to leave him alone.
  "Do what?" Hermione asked.
  "I think you know what." Draco said. Hermione subconsciously looked down at his arm. She shivered.
  "Draco, you don't have to do this." Hermione pleaded.
  "You don't understand!" Draco nearly shouted.
  "Then help me too!" Hermione said. Draco knew he had to start lying now. He wouldn't be able to see her again.
  "I'm sorry Hermione." Draco said.
  "I'll be here for you through anything Draco." Hermione said and took Draco's hand. She then surprised him immensely by grabbing a hold of both sides of his face and pulling him in for a kiss. It tasted like spearmint toothpaste. He kissed her back and they stayed this way for a few minutes until Draco broke it. He couldn't do this.
  "I can't see you anymore Hermione." Draco said and stepped away.
  "What? Why?" Hermione asked.
  "I don't want to be friends anymore. I can't stand to be around you." Draco said. Each word cut both of them like tiny knives.
  "It didn't seem like it just a minute ago." Hermione said. Draco glared.
  "Don't speak to me again. Mudblood." Draco spat in her face and walked out, waiting to cry until she couldn't see him. The last thing he heard was a sob come from Hermione's mouth as he left her. He would hate himself from now on.
  Slughorn closed the potion and Hermione stepped back blushing. She looked over at Draco immediately. They both knew what each of those scents correlated to...

-

Part 2 will be out later this week!