Malfoy Family Drama

"I can't believe you dragged me into this." Hermione said as she and Draco walked up to the front of Malfoy Manor. Tonight was the annual Halloween ball at the Malfoy household and Hermione was likely to be the only muggleborn there. She and Draco had been dating for two months, his parents didn't know yet.
"I can't believe it either. But what can I say, we look stunning." Draco said as he eyed Hermione. Hermione blushed and laughed at his usual self-absorbed comments. She was wearing an emerald gown (pictured at top) and Draco had a silver suit with a green tie to match Hermione's dress.
"Thank you. I'd have to agree." Hermione said. But her smile faded away quickly as they arrived at the doors. Draco saw this and squeezed her hand.
"I promise, you'll be safe. As I said before, my parents aren't in love with muggleborns yet, but they're turning around. Very, very slowly, but it's at least a change." Draco said. Hermione sighed.
"You're right. I need to get over my fear of this place anyway. Let's go in." Hermione said and they entered the extravagantly decorated manor.
The house was packed with witches and wizards dressed up to the nines. Hermione felt immediately intimidated. But being with Draco helped her keep her cool.
  Draco waved or nodded to many people on the way in and Hermione just smiled politely. Then they ran into Blaise.
  "Blaise." Draco said.
  "Draco, and Granger, nice to see you came after all." Blaise said.
  "Well, Draco convinced me." Hermione said.
  "Ah of course." Blaise replied.
  "Who are you here with mate?" Draco asked.
  "Well, it's funny you say that because..." Blaise said but was cut off.
  "Draco!" A girl that Hermione didn't recognize said as she came up behind Blaise and rested her hand on his shoulder.
  "Good evening Astoria." Draco said. Hermione thought this girl looked very beautiful and suddenly she found herself feeling even more insecure.
  "How are you?" Astoria asked.
  "I'm doing well." Draco said. Blaise rolled his eyes at his date but she didn't notice. She was too interested in Draco.
  "Me too." Astoria said. Hermione was feeling invisible. This Astoria girl hadn't even acknowledged her. Hermione cleared her throat.
  "Oh, and who's this?" Astoria asked.
  "This is-" Draco began but was cut off.
  "I'm Hermione Granger, Draco's girlfriend." Hermione's face felt hot. Why had she become so protective and competitive all the sudden?
  "Hmm, I see." Astoria raised her eyebrows.
  "Nice meeting you. We really must be off, mingling you know?" Hermione said and dragged Draco across the hall to a different room.
  "Jealous much?" Draco laughed as they came to a halt. Hermione blushed.
  "No!" Hermione said. Draco raised his eyebrows at her.
  "Okay fine maybe a little." Hermione said. Draco shook his head.
  "Oh please Granger. There's no reason to be jealous. You're the only woman I could possibly notice tonight." Draco said and placed his hands on her cheeks. Hermione smiled up at him. They were about to kiss.
  "Draco?" Hermione quickly pulled away to see Narcissa and Lucius standing by the door frame. They walked over to Draco and Hermione.
  "Good evening mother, father." Draco said.
  "Um, good evening." Hermione said with the best smile she could bear.
  "Who are you?" Lucius asked. Wow, Hermione thought, they didn't even recognize her.
  "Mother, father, this is Hermione Granger." Draco said. Hermione stuck out her hand for them to shake.
  "It's a pleasure." Hermione said but neither would shake her hand. Her smile faded and she put her hand down.
  "It's... pleasant, to have you here." Narcissa said. It seemed slightly difficult for her to say. Lucius just fell silent with a judgmental stare aimed at Hermione.
  "Thank you for having me." Hermione said. She knew Narcissa was trying her hardest.
  "I actually would like to tell you, before you find out from one of mother's tabloid magazines. That Hermione and I have been dating for two months now." Draco said. Lucius nearly spit out his champagne and Narcissa looked like she had been petrified.
  "I hope you can be accepting of us, but if not, then I'll pick her over you." Draco said. He was straightforward like that.
  "I- I don't know what to say..." Narcissa said.
  "I do." Lucius said.
  "Get out." He added.
  "What?" Hermione asked.
  "How dare you speak to me?" Lucius added. Draco glared at his father and grabbed Hermione's hand.
  "Let's go Hermione. I'm done giving them chances." He dragged Hermione out of the room and towards the exit. They sat on a bench once they were outside.
  "Draco I'm so sorry." Hermione said. She felt terrible for tearing his family apart like this.
  "It's not your fault." Draco said.
  "Yes it is! If you weren't with me-" Hermione started.
  "What? They would be happy? No. They would love me? No. The only good thing about my life is that I'm with you Hermione." Draco explained. Hermione smiled and kissed him on the cheek, which tinted his pale skin pink.
  "Look, birth family is overrated. I've got you and that's all that matters." Draco said.
  "I couldn't agree more." Hermione said and laid her head to rest on Draco's shoulder. He kissed her head.
  "Draco." A voice said from behind him. He turned around to see his mother.
  "What do you want now mother?" Draco asked.
  "To apologize." Narcissa said. This caught both Draco and Hermione's attention.
  "I'm sorry for how I reacted. I was just surprised that's all. I really am happy for you Draco. I can tell you really love each other." Narcissa said. Draco eyed her wearily but then got up to give her a hug.
  "Thank you mum." Draco said.
  "Oh well, you come here too." Narcissa motioned first Hermione to join in on the hug and she did.
  They released each other.
  "I suppose it'll take some time for your father to adjust. But he'll get there." Narcissa said.
  "By a lot of time, I think you mean a decade." Draco said.
  "But it's okay, we'll wait." He added and grabbed Hermione's hand. They shared a warm smile.