Yule Ball

A/N: I know Dramione Yule ball one shots are over done but I wanted to put my own spin on one! Enjoy!

  Draco stared across the eloquent room over to a certain someone, Hermione Granger. His eyes had been concentrated on her all night and he simply couldn't stop himself. She looked beautiful, and the fact that she was with another guy, who happened to be a world famous athlete, didn't help.
  Draco had been crushing on Hermione for almost a year now, and his heart could barely take the pain of insulting her anymore, so most of the time he avoided her and watched from a distance.
  But he had a feeling this time would be different.
  Draco danced with Pansy slowly but completely ignored her as he watched Viktor leave to go get punch. This is my chance! He thought.
  "Excuse me." Draco said to Pansy she rolled her eyes and went over to pick up Theo.
  Draco made his way through the crowd and by the time he got to where Hermione was standing, she had walked over to Potter and Weasel.
  Draco sighed and sat down at a table to watch their conversation.
  He could barely make it out over the music but they were arguing over Viktor and Hermione. Hermione got offended by something Ron had said and she walked out. Ron and Harry followed, but so did Draco.
  "How dare you? Besides I can take care of myself." Hermione yelled.
  "I doubt it. He's way too old." Weasel said.
  "What? What? That's what you think?!" Hermione said.
  "Yeah that's what I think." Ron said.
  "You know the solution then don't you?" Hermione was nearly crying.
  "Go on." Ron said.
  "Next time there's a ball, pluck up the courage and ask me before somebody else does! And not as a last resort!" Hermione sobbed. This was meant for Ron but it hit Draco right at home. He should've asked her when he had the chance.
  "Well, I mean, that's just completely off the point. Harry..." Ron's voice squeaked.
  "Where have you been?" Hermione asked Harry.
  "Never mind off to bed both of you!" She added.
  Harry and Ron walked off and Ron said "They get scary when they get older."
  "Ron you spoiled everything!" Hermione yelled and collapsed on the staircase. She sobbed and slipped her heels off.
  Draco felt how in pain she was in his heart. Weasel had been way out of line. So Draco took a deep breath and told himself this. 'What's the worst that could happen?' He thought about it. If he went up to her, she might deny him and tell him to go away, probably insult him. But then again, she might not. Suddenly a wave of hope washed over Draco and he walked over to Hermione.
  He sat next to her on the steps.
  "Here." He handed her his handkerchief. Hermione looked up at him in wild confusion but took it and wiped her tears.
  "I'm sorry your night didn't go as planned." Draco whispered.
  "Leave me alone Draco I've already been insulted enough." Hermione choked out.
  "I'm not coming to insult you." Draco said.
  "Well than what do you want?" Hermione asked.
  "I don't know." Draco said. He really didn't, well maybe he did. Maybe he wanted to know Hermione was okay.
  "I wanted to check on you, you looked pretty upset." Draco said.
  "Thanks." Hermione said sarcastically.
  "I mean, even upset, you still look beautiful." Draco said. He blushed at himself, had he really just said that?
  Hermione was stunned. She had stopped crying but her face was still red and blotchy.
  "Thank you." Hermione said. She wasn't sure if he was lying or not but it sounded genuine.
  "You're welcome." Draco said.
  "You know, you didn't look to bad tonight either." Hermione said. Draco smiled.
  "I do look quite dashing don't I?" Draco said. Hermione playfully shoved his arm. They both laughed.
  "Seriously though, I'm sorry weasel ruined your night." Draco said. Hermione shrugged.
  "You heard all of that?" Hermione asked.
  "I hear a lot of things." Draco replied.
  "That's embarrassing." Hermione said.
  "Only for weasel, you shouldn't be embarrassed, you were just having a good time." Draco explained. Hermione looked into his eyes as he talked and gained a deep appreciation for what he was doing for her right now.
  "I guess so." Hermione said.
  From the ball room they could hear Professor Mcgonagall come on the microphone and announce:
  "This will be the last song."
Draco looked at Hermione and stood up. He held his hand out for her to grab.
  "What are you doing?" She asked him.
  "Didn't you hear? It's the last dance." Draco said. A slow song began and Hermione took his hand. He pulled her up and took her waist. They began to sway to the music in the corridor.
  After a few seconds, Hermione rested her head on Draco's shoulder as they danced. Draco's heart grew warmer and warmer by the minute. When the song ended they stopped and came apart.
  "Thanks for fixing my night Draco." Hermione said with a smile.
  "The pleasure is mine." Draco said. Hermione took him and herself by surprise and planted a small kiss on Draco's cheek.
  "Goodnight." She said and ran up the stairs to her common room.
   "Goodnight..." Draco whispered as she left him with a smile on his face.