Partners (Part One)

Sixth Year

  "Your projects will be due the first week of February so I expect you to start your work over the holiday. You will work with one partner, which I will allow you to choose. Keep in mind you'll have to work together for a month. So go ahead and make your decisions, wisely I would hope." Professor Mcgonagall said. The class immediately broke out into loud chatter as everyone picked partners.
  Hermione looked around the room to see who she could pair up with.
  "No, I want to be with Hermione." Ron said.
  "No Ron, you just want her to do all the work." Harry said.
  "So? She's going to end up doing my project whether we're partners or not!" Ron said.
  "No I won't be Ron! You two should pair up with each other because I know you're both going to use my work if you pair with me." Hermione said.
  "But-" Harry started. Hermione raised her eyebrows.
  "Fine." Harry said. Hermione turned away from them to see Draco Malfoy sitting by himself reading a book. No one was asking to pair up with him. All of his Slytherin crew had dropped the class a long time ago. Hermione decided to walk over.
  "Hey." Hermione said. Draco looked up.
  "What do you want?" He asked.
  "Would you want to work together?" Hermione asked. Draco raised his eyebrows in surprise.
  "Um- sure. I guess..." Draco replied. Hermione sat down next to him and they started brainstorming ideas.
-
  It had been a week and Hermione and Draco had been going to the library every day after class to work on their project. Today was the last day before holiday break.
  "So what are you doing over the holidays?" Hermione asked.
  "Staying here. Most likely alone in the Slytherin common room." Draco responded.
  "Really? Why aren't you going home?" Hermione asked. Draco's face stiffened.
  "My parents don't really want to see me right now." Draco admitted. Hermione frowned.
  "Don't pity me Granger. The feeling is mutual." Draco said. Hermione could tell he was lying.
  "Well what are you doing?" Draco asked.
  "Going to the Weasley's." Hermione said. Draco made a disgusted face.
  "What?" Hermione asked.
  "I feel terrible for you! Having to suffer through that all of Christmas." Draco said. Hermione shoved him slightly.
  "Oh shut up. It's quite enjoyable." Hermione said.
  "Oh really?" Draco asked.
  "Yes." Hermione said.
  "Because weasel king is there? And you want to have weasel babies with him?" Draco said. Hermione turned bright red.
  "No! No I do not." Hermione nearly shouted.
  "Mhmm." Draco said.
  "That's completely outrageous. Besides, he has a girlfriend." Hermione said.
  "You don't have to tell me twice, I see them snogging in the hallway every five seconds. Absolutely disgusting" Draco said.
  "Finally something we agree on." Hermione said. Draco laughed.
  "Not quite sure what he sees in her but I'm even more confused at what she sees in him." Draco explained.
  "Yeah..." Hermione said.
  "Do you ever wish things were different?" Hermione asked.
  "That is an insanely broad question Granger." Draco said.
  "I mean like- what if you were sorted into a different house, what if you and Harry or I had been friends, what if I wasn't a muggleborn, we probably would've gotten along so well." Hermione said. Draco looked at he with a sad expression.
  "That's a terrible way to think Granger." Draco said.
  "Well do you wish things had been like that?" Hermione asked. Draco thought on this. His honest answer? Yes, 100%. But he couldn't tell Hermione that could he? Why did he already trust her so much? He shouldn't trust her. Not with all that was going on in his world and hers.
  "Maybe." Draco said.
  "I just think you have wasted potential Draco and I-" Hermione started but was interrupted by Madam Pince.
  "You kids need to clear out. It's curfew soon." She said. Draco glared at her and Hermione started gathering her stuff.
  "You're right." Draco said as they were walking out of the library.
  "I think we would've been good friends if things were different." Draco said.
  "Things change. People change, I wouldn't be surprised if we did too." Hermione responded. Draco smirked.
  "Happy holidays Granger." He said.
  "Happy holidays Malfoy." Hermione said as they parted ways for the Christmas holiday.