Lyrella kept calm the entire way and Alyssa just hoped she would do that when she met the King as well. Once they reached the large double doors Alyssa took a deep breath before they opened and she walked beside her husband down the long aisle that lead to towards Iron Throne.

Alyssa had to stop her eyes from widening at the sight before her. If she thought the King looked scabby before, this was an entire new level. His hair had grown longer, looking tousled and greasy while his eyes were even more sunken than before.

When they reached the base of the Throne Rhaegar bowed and Alyssa curtsied deeply with Lyrella in her arms. She lowered her head for a few seconds before standing up again looking up at her good-father.

"So my son returns" Aerys sneered, "and with a new addition. The Prince of Dragonstone has become a father!"

Applause rang through the hall and Alyssa had to fight an eye roll. Because Rhaegar clearly did all the hard work in bringing Lyrella into the world.

"Allow me to take a closer look at the newest Targaryen" Aerys said and Alyssa looked at Rhaegar who nodded. She slowly made her way up the steps of the throne. Her steps were cautious and she kept her eyes on Aerys the entire time, looking for any change in his eyes that told her she had to stop.

When she eventually stopped she stood completely still as Aerys inspected her daughter, or more judged her. "She looks like you" Aerys sneered as his glazed purple eyes clashed with her defiant grey ones. And while normally it would been a compliment if someone compared her daughter to her, this felt more like an insult.

"But she has Targaryen eyes, the eyes of a Dragon" Alyssa said with the sweetest and most genuine smile she could muster, "And her hair might be as dark as Balerion's scales."

The King looked at her seriously for a few seconds before he started to cackle, his laugh ringing through the Throne Room that was otherwise completely quiet. "Aaah, let us hope she inherits her fire from her mother also" he smirked while looking at her like a predator.

Alyssa gave the King her most convincing smile and curtsied before making her way back to Rhaegar whose face was a mask of indifference but once she got closer she could see his jaw clench, a muscle in his cheek twitching in anger.

"We have had a long journey, Your Grace. So with your leave we'd like to return to our chambers" Rhaegar bowed his head before looking up at the King, their eyes meeting for a few seconds of tense silence.

Aerys gave them a nod of approval, his eyes shifting from his son to land on Alyssa and she could feel his eyes burn her back the whole walk out of the Throne Room. Once the doors closed behind them her shoulders sagged in relief.

"That was almost painless" Alyssa said quietly as they made their way towards Maegor's Holdfast, Arthur following like a quiet shadow behind them.

Rhaegar made a sound in answer, but he didn't say anything. His forehead was wrinkled in a frown and he seemed to be deep in thought. One of his hands were placed on the hilt of his sword, his fingers flexing against it.

They walked over the drawbridge and made their way towards Rhaella's chambers. Outside stood Ser Gerold with an emotionless expression, only giving them a small nod before opening the door.

When they entered Rhaella was already walking towards them, her arms open, "My darlings" she grinned as she embraced her son who in turn carefully wrapped his arms around her like she was made of porcelain.