[one of those days]

A/N uhhh, long time no see-

enjoy?

Magnus woke with a start, barely hearing the faint click of his door being opened before light from the hallway cut a wedge across the carpet.

Blinking the cloudiness from his eyes, he propped himself on his elbows and stared at the green-haired figure leaning against the doorframe.

"It's 'she', today."

Alex was obviously attempting to stay in the shadows - something very un Alex-like - but the fluorescent bulbs from the hall still managed to make her green hair shine.

"Hey, Maggie," her voice was dull and deprived of energy, and Magnus felt his heart sink. It was one of those days.

"Hi," his voice sounded small and timid, and he tried to force a smile onto his face.

Alex walked towards the center of the room and sat down in what she liked to call 'criss-cross-pear-sauce', because "why do the apples get to have all the fun?"

Dragging himself out of bed and to his feet, Magnus joined Alex on the floor, nudging her with his shoulder. "Hey, what's up?"

For a fraction of a second, Alex's beautiful eyes twinkled. "The ceiling, the clouds, a lot of things, really. And if you think about it-"

"Alex," he willed his voice not to waver or crack, but it did not comply.

She shifted to face him, the different shades of her eyes boring into him, like deep pools of chocolate and caramel respectively.

"Hey, Maggie," she asked, completely ignoring his question, "will it ever all be okay?"

Alex wasn't meeting his gaze anymore, instead studying the picture frames he had displayed.

"I..." Magnus paused, carefully selecting what he would say next, "I don't know, Alex."

He wished he could stop bottling up all his anger and frustration and worry (and perhaps smash that bottle over a few people's heads), but he didn't want to take it out on Alex. She was trying her best.

"I don't know," he ventured when she made no attempt to speak, "and I won't say it's because we're einherjar or we're special. I don't know if everything will be okay, but I know - I hope - that we're okay, and that Floor 19 is okay, and that plenty of other things are okay."

"You're too positive sometimes, Maggie."

"Maybe. But, in my opinion, it's better to be too positive than too negative."

Alex looked like she was going to protest, but as quickly as it had appeared, the fire faded from her eyes and she leaned into him slightly. "I guess you're right."

Magnus wrapped his arm around her shoulders, forcing back a smile of his own as the corners of her lips turned up ever so slightly.

Panicking slightly, a thought appeared in Magnus's mind, and he spoke once more. "Hey, Alex, we are good, right?"

She laughed, her cheeks flushing to a shade that matched that of her sweater vest, "Of course, Maggie, we're good."

"We'll get through all that not so good stuff together, yeah?"

He brushed a kiss across the dark roots of her hair as she replied, "Yeah."

Magnus smiled to himself. It wasn't one of those days after all.

*nervous laughter* hi, y'all!

i'm uh, really sorry i hadn't updated this book since june-

but, i was inspired for this snd so here we are!

i really am sorry for the wait, and i don't know when another one will be up, but i wanted to thank all of y'all readers for sticking around

i love you all sm, and you guys just keep coming back to reread. whenever i see votes in my notifications, i cringe at people reading my awful old writing, but it's so nice to see, as well. this book has gained around 5k reads, and i'm so grateful! thank you all!!

y'all's most certainly not favorite self deprecating author, signing off!

~~