Intermission: Time for a Battle

Start from the beginning

Meanwhile, Red had just gotten a tray with all the requested drinks and was walking back to them. He was happy with how things were going with Leaf's parents, they were every bit the loving and accepting parents they were when they came for parents' weekend. He wasn't too worried about the outcome but he couldn't help but worry a little that they might not like him as much as Blue. Oh lord, that was a truly awful thought. Thankfully that wasn't even remotely true.

"Hey!"

Red was snapped out of his thoughts by a voice calling to him. Red turned to see a trio of boys all about 12 years old with expectant looks on their faces. "Hi, we heard some things. Is it true you're the Kanto Champion?" The main boy asked.

"Uh yeah it's true," Red replied.

"I knew it! I saw your match with Lance, it was incredible!"

Red scratched the back of his head sheepishly, "heh thanks, so I take you guys are trainers too?"

"You betcha, one day I'm gonna be the best in the world!" One of the other boys said.

"No way, I'm gonna be number 1!" The third boy argued.

"No I will!"

"I will!"

Red chuckled at the boys' antics, the other boy shook his head at his friends arguing and he decided to step up and ask the big question. "So...well...we wanted to ask. Could we have a battle with you?" He asked nervously, "it's just, we really want to see how strong you are ourselves."

How could he say no to that? Red smiled before responding, "of course, I'd be happy to."

The other two boys stopped arguing when they realized that their request had been granted. Big smiles came to their faces, "aw yeah! We're gonna battle the Kanto Champion!" One of the boys shouted.

This caught the attention of many people around them. Mostly Hill Valley campers that didn't know/realize who he was. Once they did recognize him, however, Red ended up getting a little more than he bargained for. Now everybody wanted to see the battle and more people wanted to battle him themselves. Red looked around at the people a little exasperated, "Oh boy," he sighed, "Alright, I'm just gonna deliver these to my girlfriend and her parents. Just follow me and we can get started after that."

So the boys and all the spectators followed. Needless to say, Leaf and her parents were surprised to find Red coming back with a small crowd. "Are you gonna have them all sing a love song for me or something?" Leaf asked jokingly.

"Yeah, because I'm such a romantic," he joked.

Leaf giggled, "So what's this about then?"

"I promised these boys over here a battle," he said pointing at the boys in question, "I ended up picking up a crowd along the way. Sorry if this came at a bad time but I at least wanted to get these for you guys before we got started."

"No worries at all, thank you, Red," said Isaac.

"Yes thank you," Rebecca added.

With all the drinks delivered, Red turned his attention back to the crowd and his opponents, "Alright everyone, let's find a place a little more spacious," he said before turning back to Leaf, "feel free to come and cheer me on."

Leaf gave him a fake contemplative look, "I mean I guess I could come along. It's not like I want to," she said jokingly.

Leaf leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek, "Good luck, not that you need it," she continued.

Red gave her a loving smile before walking away to the battlefield. Leaf quickly put her clothes on over her swimsuit and she and her parents followed suit. Everyone came to the prepared battlefield and Red took his place on the opposite side of the boys.