Equius Zahhak

"I pick... Equius!" You decide, grabbing his  hand, "It'll be fun, and you can protect me."

Nepeta clapped, "Ooh, I may have to add this to my shipping wall."

The others paired off as well and once everyone was ready, Eridan took the lead, "Alright, let's go now. We don't have all night"

The group took a moment to gather up their things and headed over to where the haunted house was mostly set up. Once you arrived, Eridan stepped forward once again to give a few reminders.

"Give us a moment to get set up," he said, "You'll know when you're ready to come in. Try your best to stay in your pairs. And most importantly, be terrified. We'll see you in a moment."

A few people broke away from the group and followed him inside to prepare. You smiled at Equius, "Are you excited?"

Equius nodded stoically. "I look forward to being scared by our friends, although of course I will protect you if need be" he declared before pausing to gauge your reaction. 'That is how a haunted house works, right?"

You laugh and nod at him, "You've got it."

Just then, the sound of a bell rang out from inside the house and the door creaked open all on its own. The experience was about to begin.

At your request, you and Equius waited for everyone else to go through part way first so that the two of you would be uninterrupted as you went through. You step closer to him and smile as he puts his arm around you protectively.

Skulls and skeletons dotted the entranceway, along with a layer of dirt and grime. You shiver with anticipation and point at one of the skulls. "Creepy, isn't it?"

Equius smiled at you, "Nothing to worry about of course, I don't think Aradia used real bones in her decorating. Though the idea was certainly raised."

The two of you continued into the next room where you narrowly avoided walking right into Equius who had stopped abruptly. "Careful, [Y/N]" he said, "There's a lot of water here."

You look around him into into the room that seemed to drop down right after the door and had been filled with water. The only way forward was a rickety looking pathway of wooden planks. Plastic vegetation framed the walkway, giving the impression of being deep in the jungles.

You frowned at the scene before you. "I'm not a huge fan of water," you say, "So after you, I guess."

Equius stepped out onto the path which creaked beneath his feet but did not seem in danger of collapsing. Feeling confident, you follow him forward.

Halfway across the water, you heard a woosh to your right and turned to see Vriska swinging past on a vine, cutlass brandished.

"On guard!" she declared as she landed on the planks and you let out a noise of surprise, ducking behind Equius.

He reached behind to steady you and Vriska laughed. "Congratulations on not falling, that's one room down, two more to go."

She stepped aside to let Equius pass but couldn't resist giving you a little shove that nearly sent you tumbling into the water. Luckily for you, Equius caught you before you could with surprisingly quick reflexes and set you back on your feet.

"Are you alright?"

"Just fine," you say, sticking your tongue out at Vriska who shook her head with a grin.

"Fair is fair," she said and let you continue on your way.

The second room was dark and dusty, the corners filled with cobwebs. Not to mention skulls and skeletons lined the walls, grinning at you with bony smiles.

Equius leads you out into the room, glancing back at you every now and then. "There is no need to worry [Y/N]," he reassures you, "I will be careful to keep you safe."

"Of course," you grin. You played up a nervous expression and inched closer to him.

As soon as you did, a flash of movement to your left made you jump back. And not a moment too late as a scythe came down between the two of you. You gasped and looked up to find the wielder of the scythe to be Eridan who had changed into a strange cross between a human grim reaper and an imperious drone.

"Fiddlesticks, highblood be careful," Equius said to Eridan, "You nearly struck [Y/N]."

You giggle at his seriousness and take him by the arm. "It's alright Equius, I don't think that thing is sharp."

"You're right, it's not," Eridan agreed, "I'm not stupid. Oh also, two rooms down, one left to go." He backed into the shadows until he was all but invisible once more and the two of you continued on your way.

The final room was cold and made of stone. Rusted suits of armor lined either side, standing in front of banners that bore the signs of different aspects. "This must be Dave's room," you whisper.

"Which suit do you think is his?" Equius whispered back, looking at the identical suits of armor.

You think for a moment and point at one at random, "That one."

Equius leads you over to it carefully and peers into the visor. "Empty," he reported just as the suit right next to you swung its lance down, hitting the floor with a loud clanging noise.

You yelped and jumped back as Dave lifted his visor with an amused expression. "You were close," he said. "I was almost worried you would ruin my surprise."

You smiled at him, "You're good at staying still."

He shrugged, "Practice makes perfect. Anyway, congrats on finishing the final room." He bowed deeply and waved the two of you onward.

You and Equius went through the final door and emerged on the other side of the house. The rest of the group were already out there waiting. Some looking more scared than others.

"How was it?" Nepeta asked upon noticing your arrival.

"I rather enjoyed myself," Equius said, smiling fondly at you. "And I hope you did too."

You chuckle, "Of course I did. How could I not when I was with you."

Equius laughed and kissed you on the cheek, "Thanks [Y/N]"

A chorus of reactions came from the others but you ignored them all and just smiled at Equius before returning the kiss.

This would be a Halloween to remember.

I hope you enjoyed this. Happy Halloween!