Chapter Twenty-Seven

I didn't entirely know what I was going to say, if I'm being honest. The text was vague and only warranted a short reply from me but there was still so much power within it.

"So what's the plan for today?" Noah asked, finally entering the kitchen that morning.

Pouring him a cup of coffee, I handed it over to him as I said, "I have a meeting later on but I know Tayler wanted to hang out." Nodding his head, he pulled out his phone, looking through his messages and I suddenly became nervous. The look on Noah's face changed as he spent more time on his phone. "What's up?" I asked, stepping towards him.

Quickly locking his phone, he looked up at me, "Nothing, just the guys being stupid."

"I didn't realize we started hiding things from each other again." I snapped, rolling my eyes.

"It's not like that." He said, wrapping his arms around my waist. My arms stayed by my side as I tried to look anywhere other than in Noah's eyes. "Hey," He said, guiding my gaze towards him. "it's nothing." Placing a soft kiss on my lips, he let out a smile before breaking away. "I'll see you later."

Leaning onto the counter, I pulled out my phone, hoping to take my mind off whatever was on Noah's but as soon as I saw it, I knew exactly what Noah was annoyed about.

"Noah Beck and Regan Cross were spotted leaving Saddle Ranch last night hand in hand. Could this mean the waters are being tested once again? Do you guys ship Roah? Let us know in the comments below!"

@Teganforlife: Everyone knows Regan and Tayler are dating. Noah needs to just back off.

@SimpforNoah: Noah's too good for her! She'll trample all over him!

@CrossoffCross: The only ship I see is the one taking Regan far away from our boys!

The comments were ruthless and they were more or less aimed towards me. I know Noah and I started off rocky but I was really hoping people would just move on and let us be happy. I've been in this situation one too many times and it was starting to become tedious.

---

Tapping my finger against my leg as I sat on the park bench, I was becoming more and more nervous. I wasn't sure how this conversation was going to go and to think of it going south...it'll just make everything worse.

"Hey," He said, sitting down next to me. "thanks for coming." We sat in this exact spot many times before but this time was different. Sure, we weren't exactly public with our relationship but we both knew how we felt about one another so being around each other was comfortable. But in this moment, I didn't exactly know where we stood.

"Why'd you tell Thomas? Of all people!?" I asked, deciding it was best to skip the small talk.

"Don't be like that." He said, shaking his head. "Don't act like you had a problem with Thomas before any of this started. If he wasn't doing what he's doing, you'd have no problem with the fact that I told him."

"We agreed to complete secrecy, Ryland."

"And I did that. He caught me leaving you voicemail the day you left and he just...he wouldn't drop it."

"You could have told him literally anything else!"

"Sure Cross, let me just make up a reason as to why I'm screaming I love you on the phone." Immediately looking away, I was brought back to the last time I stood in Ryland's room; the first time he ever said those words. I had never been so confused in my entire life. I didn't know how to handle the situation and I didn't want to hurt him anymore than I knew I was going to so I left...and never looked back. "I meant everything I said on that voicemail but I know now that you weren't ready to hear it."

"I shouldn't have ran out like I did." I admitted. Leaving without so much as a word when someone tells you they love you...may not be the best thing to do.

"Look, Thomas just wants you to know that I was hurt...for a while." He explained, finally allowing the truth to come out. "He's known me for a long time and seeing me leave you that voicemail...it was a whole new level. And then you kept your distance and I begged him not to say or do anything because that's the way you wanted it. I was your secret; you were mine and I wanted to respect that. But then you started getting with Noah and that's when Thomas took things into his own hands."

"Yeah, well...things might be over with Noah...again."