Chapter Forty-Two

"You better shop every single day; I want a complete wardrobe upgrade." Casey instructed as we sat on the edge of the pool. "Oh, and call me every day." Letting out a laugh, I nodded my head in agreement before bringing my drink up to my lips.

"Well you weren't wrong." Griffin said, shoving his phone in my face as he sat down next to me. Rolling my eyes at the article that was plastered all over the internet, as I knew that it would be. "How do they get it out so fast? I mean, it's only been a couple of hours."

"Because these people have nothing better to do, Griff."

Letting out a chuckle, he nodded his head as he said "Fair enough."

"Are you three coming in or what?" Josh asked, popping his head from out of the water. "It's supposed to be a pool day, not a 'sit by the pool' day."

"Just give me a sec; let me get another drink." I said, getting up from the edge.

"Or you could go in now." Feeling a body against mine, I held my breath as my body hit the water and I was already ready to kill whoever that was.

"Ryland."

"Hey Cross," He said, with a smirk on his face. "Funny seeing you here."

"What are you doing here?" I asked. It's not that I minded that he was here, it's just that I wasn't expecting him to be. I mean, I just didn't think the invitation had been extended past Sway.

"I invited him, obviously." Tayler said, joining the conversation. "We said invite everyone so I...invited everyone."

"Plus, information spreads quickly...who knows if the Hype House would have seen you before you left." I looked away, avoiding Ryland's sad eyes as he looked at me. I couldn't bare the thought of breaking his heart for the second time. "Hey," He said, reaching for my hand under the water, as Tayler swam away. "you sure this is what you want to do?" His fingers brushed mine as I thought about everything that happened. I broke Ryland's heart and Noah broke mine.

"Positive." I lied. I'm not sure about it; I'm not sure about anything anymore. "I'm going to grab a drink."

Heading into the kitchen, I tied my hair back in a pony before reaching the fridge. Pulling out a drink, I stood in the kitchen, trying to convince myself that this was going to be a good thing. Heading to Italy is going to help me; it's going to clear my head of everything that went to shit this year and it's going to help get my mind back on track.

"How long are you going for?"

"A month or two...maybe more." I explained, breathing out.

"So in other words, you don't know."

"Ryland-"

"It's fine Cross, do what you gotta do." Hopping onto the counter, I watched as Ryland grabbed a drink from the fridge, closed the door and leaned against it, tracing the rim of the can. "I really hope you're doing this for you; it's been a while since you've listened to yourself instead of other people."

"You made me happy." I blurted out, instantly regretting even thinking it. Watching as his eyes darted up from the can, I knew I had just started something I wasn't sure I could finish.