Chapter 13 - Important Decisions

Taro had listened to his son's tears from the living room. He stood up and walked into the kitchen. He looked down at his son, crying on the floor. Ryukon didn't know what caused him to start crying, but he couldn't stop. He found himself rubbing his eyes with his sleeves without an end in sight.

"You're getting to a stage where you're becoming attached. Am I correct?" Taro asked.

Ryukon flinched and looked up at Taro, "M-..Ma...see.. I was-"

"I know you left last night..." Taro said, "if your father finds out, then he won't be happy... However, for your sake, I won't tell him... Especially since you came back home safe..." he then turned his head toward him, "...do you know why I'm sparing you the trouble?"

Ryukon shook his head. Taro opened a drawer. He took out a steak knife and sat down next to his son on the floor. Ryukon's heart kicked up.

"...Things may be simple now, but one day you will have to choose between using a blade on someone, or having them use it on you..." Taro said, "I've noticed that there's a girl that doesn't like you too well... and I see that she follows your boyfriend around..."

Ryukon wouldn't dare correct him on the boyfriend part, but at this point, was Taro wrong?

"Did your father already tell you about our story with Ayano Aishi? In full?..."

"Not the full story, but he did mention that she was a 'Yandere'..."

Taro sighed, "well, she used to have a big crush on me," he then rolled his eyes, "no, let's be real here... I was her target... She was willing to pretty much eliminate every person that spoke to me so that I could be aaaall hers... She even started a whole group to try to ruin your father's reputation..."

Taro was turning the knife side to side, causing the knife to flicker light. Ryukon got a little worried seeing how Taro was staring at the knife he was holding. Taro then chuckled.

"Weird how a Yandere's main weapon of choice is always a knife... Then again, it's better than a gun I suppose..." Taro said, "anyway, you will have to fight a Yandere at some point... and you will have a choice to make... I'm sure you'll make the right one..."

Ryukon nodded and hugged his knees. He paused before asking a question that's been on his mind for a while now. He looked at Taro, "ma... How do you know when you love someone?..." Ryukon asked. Taro took a moment to think about it.

"They become a big priority in your life, and you're protective of them," Taro started, "however, you don't see them as property. You want to see them happy... to achieve their dreams... To be there to hold them when they're down... To fight for them when they're in danger."

Taro held the knife upward, "you both are a unit... A team... You're also willing to hold the other accountable because you want to see them become better and not... fall into habits that are keeping them back..."

The knife's angle pointed toward the floor, followed with a fair pause from Taro. He finally stood up and placed the knife back in the drawer. He looked down at Ryukon on the floor.

"True Yanderes don't know love, son... They only know possession..." Taro said, "as much as I would like for you to use your father's methods, there's going to be someone that is so dangerous that you will have no choice but to fight them or die... I'm sorry..." he said looking at him. Ryukon sat there without a word.

Taro wiped his eyes," I can't protect you from everything, no matter how much I wish to... If you become a similar hunter to me, just know that I'm sorry..." Taro said, "however, perhaps you will see what I mean by all this someday... and hopefully your father does too..." Taro walked out. Ryukon stood up off the ground, a bit shaky. He then paused when Taro spoke again.

"If you need the Yanslayer, you know where it is..." he said before making his way up the stairs. Ryukon looked at the red katana over the fireplace. He huffed.

"I don't need it," Ryukon said to himself, "Keito and I mind as well already be together... I just have to get Kaori 5.2 million yen and it will be over with..." 

He frowned shortly afterward.