Chapter 10 - The Yandere Talk

-1 pm, Partly Cloudy-

The living room was shifting between sunshine and shade from the clouds. Ryukon was on the couch, watching his phone for Info White's plan. He then switched to his phone gallery to look at pictures of Keito and him. He landed on a picture of them around New Years back in 2035 and sighed. He was rubbing his face, thinking about the nice breakfast he had with Keito. Keito was currently upstairs in Ryukon's room, playing his game system.

Budo was walking down the stairs and saw Ryukon's feet sticking out on the arm of the couch. He walked over.

"Hey, son," Budo started, "can we talk for a moment?"

Ryukon was caught off guard from his father's tone, but nodded and moved his feet. Budo sat down next to him.

".... Look... I... I know you really like this guy, but..." Budo scratched his head, "I don't want you to do this in the way your Ma has..."

"Whoa, what do you mean?"

"...I understand why he did what he did back in the day, but he unfortunately... shares some traits with his former enemy... Your grandmother had told me about his family line... and then after some asking around... It seems as though him... and you... and that girl..."

He sighed in frustration. Ryukon had never seen his father struggle so much with telling him anything. He was usually a rather straightforward guy. Keito had walked down, but stopped midway on the stairs when he saw Budo and Ryukon speaking.

"I mean, he and this girl are not related, but their families do share a trait that runs in both of them, and... your Ma has somewhat of a different version of it..."

"Dad, what girl?" Ryukon asked. He sat up.

Budo sighed and sank back into the couch, "Ayano Aishi... She was known back in the day for the drastic events that happened when we went to Akademi High... She was what one would call a 'Yandere' student..."

"You mean like in anime?" Ryukon said with a little chuckle.

"I'm afraid it no longer sticks to that meaning nowadays..." Budo said, "It's a person who is so crazy obsessed with another that they'll harm and manipulate others, kill them, and sometimes even kill their source of affection... mostly to have control over them in a disguise of love... They're not the best people..."

"So, you're saying that Ma is a yandere?"

"Well, no..." Budo said, sweating, "he does have many tendencies of one though..."

"I'm not a Yandere."

Budo hiccupped from Taro's voice. Taro sat next to Budo and caressed his beard line.

"I would never.... EVER... try to trap you... manipulate you... or hurt you..." Taro started, "what I will do is love you... and be by your side whenever you need me..." he then eyed his katana over the fireplace, "however, if I have to kill- Mmm- hmhm."

He giggled then frowned at his own little mess up. He rubbed his face a bit to calm his nerves. Budo's eyes were now fixed on Taro. Ryukon blinked at him and waited.

"What I meant to say was, if I have to go to drastic measures to protect you and my family, then I will do so..." Taro continued, "this means if anyone, such as the Aishi's, or anyone similar to her, wishes to come back and try to tear my family apart, I will be ready for their arrival... That's all..."

Budo nodded, but then saw the look in Taro's eyes.

"Sweetheart, do you believe me?..." Taro asked.

Budo paused briefly before answering, "...I do have my doubts about you sometimes, Taro..."

Taro's heart sank. He just shook his head no.

"That katana's been giving me strange vibes since you first got it..." Budo finally admitted, "and I know you have been subliminally teaching Ryukon to be a 'yandere slayer' of a sort..."

Budo stood up and looked at Taro, "I want him to win this boy naturally... I don't want him to harm anyone. I don't want him to have a similar reputation to Ayano... If he does this, then you would have made him the exact thing that you're trying to defeat-"

"It's different if this other person is a yandere..." Taro snapped back, "those people need to go! They're keeping people hostage! Ayano could have kept me hostage to just be her hug-and-play thing for life if I didn't do SOMETHING, Budo!"

"Was that Young Chef girl a Yandere, Taro?" Budo asked, "who else is a yandere to you? Everyone seems to be a yandere to you nowadays!"

Ryukon had never seen his parents fight before. He hugged his knees.

Taro held his head and paused, "...... Budo... I..." he sighed, "I can't control if he does hurt someone or not... I just want to encourage him to go after this guy he likes... I don't want him to hide it... I don't want him or this boy ending up being trapped with a crazy person, or worse, regretful in not sharing his feelings sooner... I could have lost you, and that still scares me..."

Budo took a look at Taro before bringing him in for a hug. He kissed his forehead.

"...Love... please go to therapy..." Budo said, "I don't want these events haunting you anymore... It's been almost 2 decades since that went down..."

"I can't..." Taro hissed, "that event awakened something in me, Budo... It gave me a sense... I can spot them out in public now, I swear! I know that Ryukon can sense them too! Just-"

"How do you spot a Yandere in public, Taro?..."

"...Well, their weird breathing pattern is a start," Ryukon started, "they either breathe really fast or really slow. There's never a middle ground."

Budo stared at Ryukon. Taro just giggled quietly.