Chapter 3 - Teachable

-Friday Morning, 8:35 am; Sunny-

The sun's rays were rather invasive in the classroom this morning, causing most of the students to squint. The students were all taking notes while the teacher spoke. Ameko was in class glaring at the band-aid on her nose. She turned her head and caught Ryukon staring at the back of Keito's head. Keito sat stiffly, feeling Ryukon's eyes.

"Quit it..." Keito whispered.

Ryukon flinched, being caught, "but I'm not doing anything."

"I can feel you staring..."

Ryukon frowned and covered his face with his notebook, "sorry..." he said back and attempted to take notes. The teacher's words had warped into a different language. He was mindlessly scribbling. He looked at Keito again, which furrowed his brows.

"Can we at least be friends?" Ryukon asked.

Keito didn't answer at first. He however found it harder to continue moving his pencil. Ryukon's chest was sinking, which he found unusual. He was shy, but surprisingly he was never the type to have fear in people not speaking to him. He often enjoyed that.

"That's not a good idea..." Keito finally spoke.

"Pleaaase? You seem really cool," Ryukon said, trying again.

Keito glanced at his group, who just lowered their lids at him. He turned around toward Ryukon, "fine.... But only if I can teach you how to not be so... weak..."

"Hey, I can fight just fine!" Ryukon snapped back.

Keito looked at his red hoodie that had a panda stitched over the heart.

"....Yeah..." he deadpanned.

____________________________________________________________________________

At recess, Ryukon was standing in front of Keito and his group near a red wisteria tree. Ryukon had his hands folded out of habit behind his back, while the others had their hands in their pockets. It seemed as though neither side properly trusted the other to show palms.

"Alright..." Keito started, "your first test to see if you're even remotely teachable..."

Ryukon nodded. One of the boys took out a small black kitten they found in the bushes. They gave it to Keito and he held it in front of Ryukon.

"Don't pet this..." Keito said.

Ryukon's eyes were fixed on the kitten's small size. It could fit on a bill. Ryukon's began to shake. Keito glared directly into Ryukon's eyes, inching a little closer. The kitten began to chew on Keito's fingers, to which his attention went to the little thing.

Keito's face became unsure once the cat began to purr. It caused some of the other boys to hide their smirks in their coats. Ryukon stared dead into the cat's green eyes, which was a terrible mistake. He inched closer and just took the kitten from Keito as if he owned it. He just stood there, holding it as if he was unsure of what to do with it. His shame was radiating out of his back rather than through a facial expression.

"If you're not even going to try, then don't bother me..." Keito said.

The other boys didn't buy Keito's anger, catching his weakness in the moment as well.

"I did try! I just grew up with animals, so I guess I'm just really...... sorry..." Ryukon said. Ryukon laid the kitten against his shoulder. Keito looked at the kitten and sighed.

"..... I guess I'll forgive you since I have a dog... Next test... Meet me after sch- . . . . ." he paused from how red Ryukon's face had become, "....are you there?..."