Chapter 4

When Chris opened the door of their apartment and Ellie got inside, she thought she was going to breakdown. She felt happy but no one could tell for it was hidden under the surface together with her anxiety for she could feel the fear in her chest waiting to take over. The biggest doubt assaulted her mind: What if it didn't work? What if things still didn't work? Her doubts flying around inside her head in seconds but she decided to take control of her emotions and in instants she remembered the baby she was expecting and the love they felt for one another. Ellie took a deep breath and began to look around. Everything looked exactly like the day she left, even her art books were still on the coffee table in front of the couch.

"I left them there..." Chris spoke behind her and she looked back at him to find his eyes on her. "... I didn't know where you wanted to keep them." He added.

"It feels like I haven't been here in forever." She whispered turning around to look at their living room once more and stepping inside.

She heard the door of their apartment close behind her and Chris put her two suitcases on the light wooden floor and grabbed her hand.

"You better not stand there." He told her holding her hand, and guiding her to the couch. Ellie sat like he had intended her too.

"Everything is so tidy." She smiled and Chris smiled back and shrugged.

"I have been paying someone to clean it." He confessed.

Their apartment wasn't big. It had a living room and a kitchenet, two bedrooms and a bathroom. A balcony in the living room and another on the bedroom that used to be theirs. The living room was the biggest space in the apartment. Their couch was black and the carpet in front of it was dark gray. The curtains that covered the two large windows were white with shades of gray. In front of the kitchenet there was a counter with stools and some lamps hanging over it. They had also had a table with four chairs. The kitchenet had a glass wall on the side with an amazing view to the park. It had a door that looked like part of the cabinet but in truth was a door that led to their laundry where they kept a washing and drier machine and all the detergents.

"Chris..." Ellie called him after a few seconds of silence while she let her eyes wander over their place remembering how every little detail in that apartment had been chosen and decided by them "Can we talk now?" She asked him. He looked away from her. "Chris?" She insisted and he looked at her there.

"No." He shook his head and got up from the couch. "Now..." He approached her and pulled a white cushion and made her lie down. "You are going to rest." He smiled, but Ellie knew he was just avoiding the subject.

"I am fine sitting." She protested though.

"Lie down, come on." He insisted and Ellie shut up.

She adjusted the cushion under her head better and just complied with his request. There would be no use to try to talk to him when he had made up his mind about not doing so. She surrendered but not for good. She would go back there.

"But we can talk." She said then. "Come on..." She tried one last time.

Chris crouched to be at her eye level and patted her hair. " Rest a little, alright." He said sweetly.

"You are running way." Ellie whispered. "I know you..." She stretched a hand and rested it on his face, looking directly in his eyes that had a sort of begging glare in them. "Chris, please talk to me." Ellie asked him. "You told me things yesterday that got me worried."

Chris rested his hand on top of hers and then brought it to his lips and kissed her palm and rested it back on his cheek.

"Get some rest." He insisted. "You just got here." Chris bent over her and pressed his lips on her forehead. "I need to take care of a few things for the band, alright?"