Chapter 3

Slowly, Ellie uncovered her face for she was sleeping with the hospital's sheet over her head. Probably shielding her eyes from the light. She blinked a couple of times and then closed her eyes again and blinked again. It was hard to keep her eyes opened with the clarity in the room. Splashes of sunlight invaded the huge window and blinded her. Ellie covered her eyes with her hand for a few seconds and then and rubbed her knuckles on it to shake away the sleep, and after, she stretched her arms above her head and yawned. Finally and slowly, she was able to cope with the light and open her eyes. The first thing she noticed were Chris's legs hanging from the tiny couch and she took a deep breath. He had not gone home as she asked him. He was six feet tall and that couch was almost half of his size, but she smiled watching him.

He had pulled his jacket over his torso and also pulled one of the couch's cushions under his head. His boots were scattered on the floor, which made Ellie smile. He was the same at home. She was always grabbing his boots and putting them side by side orderly. His hair covering part of his face and his puffy lips were slightly parted as he breathed heavily. Still, her heart ached for he must have had a terrible night sleep. He barely fit in there. Though she wanted to look elsewhere, her eyes could not leave his frame. It had been two months since he had been the first thing she had seen in the morning and she missed that, though the circumstances were not the same as waking up with him at their apartment.

Memories of waking up by his side came to her mind. Waking up naked from the love making in the previous night. His sleepy smile as he kissed her good morning and sometimes how he'd try to make love to her. Sometimes it was her... sometimes she was the one looking for him. The way there was always his arm around her waist, pulling her body to spoon with his. Watching him sleep made her love for him crawl from within her. A noise caused her to look away and she saw a nurse coming in, pushing a stroller with all types of instruments and medicines.

"Good morning!" Her joyful high voice caused Chris to stir and frown. He hated to be abruptly awaken.

"Good morning." Ellie responded trying to talk low but the nurse didn't understand her hint.

"I came to check on you." She said in a truly high pitch and occupied looking at her chart at the same time. Then, she began her routine.

By the corner of her eye, Ellie saw Chris frown again and grunt low. Then, he took his hands to his eyes and rubbed them and finally he tried to opened them. The nurse was all around Ellie but she was distracted looking at him. After a few blinks, he managed to open his eyes and then sat on the couch, looking at her.

"Morning..." He told her in his cute sleeping voice that sent her heart in a nice travel to Mars. She always adored his deep sleepy tone.

"Good morning." She responded. "I told you to go home." She said right after.

"Stop bossing me." He smiled. "You know I wouldn't go."

"She is doing great." The nurse said in her high pitch and Ellie saw Chris wince a bit which almost made her laugh, but she controlled herself.

"Good to hear that." He said though and forced a nice smile.

"I am going to ask to bring you breakfast." Finally, the nurse left and they both thanked God for it.

"Oh my God..." Chris rolled his eyes. "How loud can one speak in the morning?"

"It was painful... I give you that." Ellie said giggling.

"How are you feeling?" He asked approaching the bed and holding her hand. His eyes still swollen and his face marked by the pillow.

"You heard the nurse." Ellie said. "I am fine." They fell silent and she couldn't but notice how tired he looked. "Chris..." She said after. "... you are going to have breakfast with me and then you're going home."