Chapter 43

Pearl Jam were back in town, closing their USA tour with a home show. For the first time in two months, Chris and Ellie would have a night out with their friends, which meant to leave Heaven with Millie. The ride until the ferry had been silent and Ellie had checked on the baby several times before being able to leave the house. Now that they had the amazing view of the Puget Sound ahead of them, the silence was even more intense for they were waiting in line to get inside the boat. It is in still moments that anxiety kicks in, Chris knew that so well. He wasn't looking at the Sound or its blue waters, he was looking at her, while she fumbled with her fingers with her hands were resting on her lap. Ellie was restless, he could tell by her unrelaxed body language.

"She's going to be fine." Chris told her sweetly, intertwining his fingers with hers and resting their hands on his leg. "Right..." He insisted for Ellie was biting her lower lip while gazing at the Sound through the window of their car.

"I already miss her." Ellie said, turning her head to look at him and shot him a smile. "I haven't separated from her since I came back and before that I was used to have her with me all the time." She ran her free hand over her now flat belly so he could understand what she meant.

"I repeat..." Chris paused to look in her faded blue eyes. "Our baby girl is going to be fine."

"What if she misses us?" Ellie then asked and shrugged. "She might miss us. She is used to our voice... she smiles at us. She won't see us..."

"Ellie..." Chris held her under her chin. "She also smiles at your parents and your mother knows perfectly well how to take care of a baby. Tomorrow morning we'll be back and Heaven is not going to perceive we were missing."

"You're right." She bent over him and kissed his lips. "I am just too worried for nothing. My mother brought up two girls and helped you taking care of Heaven while I was in the hospital. This is nonsense."

"Exactly." He kissed her, lingering, and inhaling her coconut scent and then looked at her. "We call home when we get to Seattle just to make sure everything is alright and you'll feel calmer." Ellie pressed her lips together holding her laughter and tapped his arm.

"You are dying to know how she is too!" She then exclaimed, not holding it anymore.

"Kind of." He confessed. "Ok.. it's hard to leave her..." Chris added. "But we have to profit of it. It's our first night alone... just us, Ellie..." He looked in her eyes. "Don't you also miss being just us?" He made a few seconds of silence. "Because I do... don't get me wrong, babe. I love our baby girl more than anything, but I miss having a moment just for me and you."

"I do too." Ellie leaned over to peck him. "Did you book the hotel?" She asked him just to be sure.

"I did." Chris smiled. Ellie bent over him and kissed him again.

"I am looking forward to that. I admit it." She whispered against his lips.

"Me too. Everything is so rushed for us now and sometimes interrupted." They both laughed. "I wouldn't trade it for anything but some time alone with you is most welcomed."

"I agree." Ellie nodded. She missed being alone with him too. "Look, babe..." She pointed at the line of cars in front of theirs. "We're getting in ferry."

"Yep." Chris blurted, turning the engine on.

Chris followed the line slowly and turned the engine off when he was placed inside the ferry that would take them to Seattle. Immediately, Ellie and he went outside to the rails as they always used to. His arm crossed around her shoulders and he kissed her temple while she snuggled against him. The wind was blowing mildly but they both had their hair tied. Chris in a small ponytail for he had gotten rid of half of his hair and Ellie in two long braids. The salty smell they would get in the middle of the estuary was to die for together with the sound of the boat piercing into the water. Seagulls were flying around and screeching. The sky had turned from blue to tones of red in that June's afternoon.