Chase and Casey - Chapter 8

The delicious aroma of dinner filled the air. But Casey stopped in the entryway, frozen in awe of the decor. The colors were pastel hues of blue and gray. The ceiling was at least two stories high and there was an amazing alabaster staircase spiraling up to an open corridor the branched off in both directions at the top. To his left was an oversized archway that led to what appeared to be the living room. There were two sofas and two overstuffed chairs that focused on a fireplace, all of which were visible from where he stood. The style looked like early colonial. To his right, was another oversized arch that led to a dinner room. The table, made of a dark-stained hardwood, was immense with enough chairs for Casey and his mom to sit in a different pair every night of the week.

Casey suddenly was aware of how he was dressed, in jeans and a t-shirt, and felt out of place, like he was trespassing. This was followed by a new awareness of Chase's attire, light blue button-down oxford and his khaki pants. This was Chase. This was his world. And as nice as it had been just talking in the cafeteria at the hospital, there would never be a place in it for Casey. While Casey could never be rude, he wasn't raised that way, this was the only time he'd ever see the inside of this place. So, he'd treat it like a trip to a museum or the press box at a stadium. He would be polite and respectful, soaking in the atmosphere, then would depart and returning to his life.

Chase told him to follow and they went down a hallway and into the kitchen. There was a table already set up with plates, silverware and glasses. Chase's mom was dressed like she was ready to go to work at a bank.

"And who's your guest?" She asked.

Chase said, "This is Casey."

His mother wore a puzzled look but quickly erased it with a smile and, wiping off her hands, came over and greeted Casey with a sweet smile and a hello. Casey wondered where Chase's dad was, a question that was answered when the back door opened and in walked someone, he assumed was his dad. Chase resembled his dad except for the mustache and darker hair. His dad strode right over to Casey and extended a hand in greeting. Casey took the offered hand but didn't so much shake hands as have his hand shaken and firmly gripped.

"Hello, I'm Mr. McDonnell. And you are?"

"C-C-Casey...Casey Huffman." Casey said with a bit of a stutter.

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Casey Huffman."

"Will you be joining us for dinner?" His mom asked.

Casey looked to Chase who said, "Yes, mom. I invited him so he didn't have to eat alone."

His mother seemed to ponder this for a moment, then realization lit up her face. "Is this the friend from the hospital?"

"Yes," Chase replied, somewhat subdued.

His mother withheld the questions written on her face  and said, "Dinner's ready, so go ahead and find a seat." Then, in an obvious move, his mother and father sat on opposite sides of the table, forcing Chase and Casey to sit opposite each other too, thus isolating Casey from Chase.

Casey swallowed a lump in his throat as his nerves ramped up. He felt very much on display and vulnerable. Still, he allowed his hand to be grasped as Chase's dad said Grace. Even after his hand was released, he continued looking down at the table. His breathing was shallow and rapid and his stomach twisted into knots, waiting for what he knew was coming. He'd never been ashamed of his home or his family but here in this nice house in a upscale neighborhood, he was embarrassed to really feel that his poverty was on display.

Chase was beginning to see the mistake he made. He could tell by the way Casey was sitting that he was miserable. What had he been thinking? He had to do something to take the pressure off of Casey. But what? To his horror, his mom began a conversation.