Slow Burn

Sorry for being gone for so long. Shit happens, what can I say.

The bell rings right as you step foot in the classroom and you almost groan out loud. The teacher doesn't even look up at you as she fills out a detention form and hands it to you. You trudge to your desk, the detention form crumpled around your fingers. You slip into your usual seat and bonk your head against the desk as quietly as you can muster. You pull out the homework for the day and get your laptop out, ready to take notes. You robotically go through the rest of your day, the crumpled detention form sitting inbetween pages of your notebook. You don't even notice when someone steps into your path until you're falling head over heels. Your books fly everywhere, and your face bashes into the floor. A gush of blood spatters the floor and you look up at the brick wall you ran into. You sigh and push yourself up off the floor, wiping the blood from your face with the back of your hand.

"Can I help you Jeremy or are you just here to be a dick? I've got places to be and none of those places involve you and your slimy friends." You begin to gather your books and Jeremy plants his foot right in your ribs sending your sprawling again. You try to push him off but the angle makes it hard to breathe. You're gasping like a fish and struggling to breathe as his full body weight begins to lean on your ribs.

"Hey! Douchebag!" A new voice enters the mumbling fray and it falls dead silent as a pair of combat boots enter the scene. That's all you can see of your savior from the floor. Jeremy's weight leaves your body and you gasp in relief. You try and pick yourself up from the floor. Your ribs scream in pain and you heave yourself off the floor. Jeremy's giant body hits the floor at that exact moment and you finally get a glimpse of your savior.

He's draped in an oversized leather jacket and his bright green eyes turn toward you just as the principal breaks through the circle.

"What is going on here?" Mr. Seewer picks you up by the arm and your side screams. You scrunch your face up so as not to cry and shrug him off. "Does anybody want to explain themselves? You know we have a no fighting policy."

"It wasn't a fight sir." Your voice is so loud in the quiet hallway. "Jeremy was standing on my ribs and he stepped in to save me." You wave a vague hand at green eyes who doesn't say anything. His brows are furrowed and angry as he stares down at Jeremy groaning on the floor. Mr. Seewer's eyebrows raise and he looks around at the scene before him. Your books are still scattered on the floor and the slowly drying puddle of your blood is starting to congeal on the tile. Jeremy is laying on the floor and crying like a baby. He nod solemnly and turns back to you.

"Go see the nurse. You too Dean. I'm putting you on escort duty." Green eyes begins to move and he gathers your things from the floor. When he approaches you his eyes are bright and there's a sastified grin on his face.

"I don't think he'll be bothering you anymore." He pushes you gently to get you started and you begin the slow walk to the nurse's office. Holding your side the two of you walk through the throngs of onlookers. When you reach your destination Dean knocks politely on the office door before opening it, ushering you in front of him. At the sight of your face the nurse almost drops his coffee mug.

The nurse fusses over you for the better part of 30 minutes while Dean sits quietly in the corner in a chair. Parents are called, ibuprofen given, and ice packs administered. When your parents show up in the doorway your mother's face is drawn and worried and your father is giving the principal a piece of his mind. A crooked smile comes to your face and you lip splits causing blood to dribble down your face. You look around your mother as she hovers and see Dean get up, heading for the door. He glances at you before he leaves and you mouth your thanks at him. He says nothing. He just shoves his hands in his jacket pockets and walks out ducking around a corner out of sight.